Plug-in won't appear in Mac

I have tried every suggestion offered and I keep getting an integration error that it cannot find the file. I have followed every step of each Zotero recommendation. It's a new MacBook Air, it's a current version of Word on Mac and it's a current download of Zotero. I don't know what else I can do.
  • edited May 27, 2020
    I keep getting an integration error that it cannot find the file
    What's the exact message you're receiving?

https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear

But follow these steps and let us know everything you've tried, in your own words, and what exactly happened at each step, including exact text you see on-screen.
  • I followed each of the steps that link provides - confirmed extensions enabled in Zotero, tried manual installation, and the "OS-specific troubleshooting tips." The troubleshooting tips ends with "Make sure that Zotero.dotm is in global templates." It is not in my global templates but there are no instructions as to how to correct that. When I try to install the Microsoft Word Add-In the error reads:

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "The file Zotero.dot couldn't be opened because there is no such file. @[setTemplateTypeCreator:install.m:223]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 227" data: no]
  • Does Zotero.dotm exist in your active Word Startup folder?

When you tried the manual installation, did you move Zotero.dotm to the Startup folder instead of copying it?
  • Yes it is there. I have tried both. I copied and then pasted it there and I have tried dragging it. When I drag it, it automatically makes a copy. I then rebooted my computer and restarted Zotero and Word.
  • What is your Startup folder location?

Can you 1) reinstall Zotero and 2) provide a Debug ID for clicking "Install Microsoft Word Add-in" (or "Reinstall") from the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences?
  • Also, what exact version of Word?
  • Word version 16.37
    Zotero reloaded, replacing the last one.
    Startup Folder location: Microsoft Office 2011>Office>Startup>Word
    -the only two things in that folder are Write-N-Cite and Zotero

The Debug ID: D807885269
  • edited May 27, 2020
    That's the Startup folder for Office 2011. You're using Office 365 (a.k.a. 2019), so it absolutely shouldn't be set to there.

If that's the location that's set in the Word preferences, you should clear that setting so it goes back to using the default.
  • It took me awhile to go through that process, but I'm getting the same error. I do think you are right. This seems to be the problem. I just don't know how to fix it.
  • The Startup folder setting in Word should now be empty, and if you look in ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word, following the linked steps for opening that folder, you should see a Zotero.dotm file. If you don't, you can follow the manual installation steps to copy Zotero.dotm to that folder.
  • OK, I deleted all old versions completely and rebooted/logged in to Microsoft Office. I went through the normal process and it works now. Thank you. Clearly having the old version around was messing everything up.