Citation formatting issues

Hi, I am writing a manuscript with colleagues and I'm responsible for creating the bibliography. I am using Zotero with Chrome and have been sent .doc files that I am editing in Open Office. Having selected the host journal in preferences I set about inserting citations and creating the bibliography. Generally working well but 4 issues have come up
1. series of references, so the journal style is (11, 12) and (11-15) which isn't happening for me in Zotero, they appear singly. I have tried selecting multiple entries before submitting the citation but Zotero only enters one.
2. formatting in the bibliography is a bit random, some are in the correct format and others not. I don't think I have changed anything between them and preferences are all set for the host journal.
3. no doi's appear in the bibliography although they are in the library
4. There is a random reference, so Delgado-Baquerizo et al. 2017, should be reference number 74 but keeps appearing as 17. Delgado-Baquerizo et al. 2016 is reference 16, but that should not be influencing Zotero.
Any help is most welcome
Bryan
  • Let’s work through some of these issues one at a time. What citation style are you using?
  • Zotero is also not supported on OpenOffice -- while I'm not sure it relates to the issues you're seeing, you should install & use LibreOffice instead.
  • Citation style = Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews
  • 1. series of references, so the journal style is (11, 12) and (11-15) which isn't happening for me in Zotero, they appear singly. I have tried selecting multiple entries before submitting the citation but Zotero only enters one.
    This seems like a misunderstanding of how to add mutliple citations:
    See https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#customizing_cites and let us know if that isn't clear.
  • 2. we'd have to see examples and
    3. is correct as per
    Note that DOIs are not needed for most references. ASM copy editors will automatically insert DOIs on all references in the CrossRef and PubMed databases during copyediting.
    4. I'd assume a remainiing reference to that work hidden in the text see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents, in particular 4 and 9
  • Thanks adamsmith, both those examples seem highly relevant. It may take me a couple of days to work through them but I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for taking the time to help.
    Bryan
  • Working my way through the issues. One of the troubleshooting tips is: If the document has a bibliography, delete it and check if you still get the error.
    I have been trying but "how do you delete a bibliography", it keeps coming back?
  • You just delete it in Word. If it just comes back, it's not fully deleted -- refer to step 9 for how to tell.
  • Got it now, getting more familiar with the help documents.
    Thanks again