grants in zotero

In addition to publications and meeting abstracts/presentations, we want to have grants in our zotero library. We want capture 6 fields for each grant. Below are the fields, populated with hypothetical information.

PI: Smith, JS
Grant title: The role of tear film lipids in dry eye disease
Grant number: R01-AR123456
Funding Body: National Eye Institute
Beginning and end dates: 04/20/19 - 06/30/24
Annual direct funds: $125,000

It would be preferable to have the "create bibliography" output be in the format above. Initial attempts with item type patent and item type report were not encouraging. I looked at previous forum strings on this topic but other than one statement about using item type report, there were no obvious solutions.
  • Use Report for this. What citation style are you using?
  • I tried entering the example grant information into "item type - report", and then doing "create report from item". The fields dont match well, and I want my fields displayed and not those of the "item type - report"

Type Report
    Author JS Smith
    Date 04/20/19 - 06/30/24
    Extra Annual direct funds: $125,000
    Institution National Eye Institute
    Report Number R01-AR123456
    Date Added 5/22/2020, 11:59:56 AM
    Modified 5/22/2020, 12:11:47 PM

If I enter the example grant information into the "extra" field of "item type - report" and put each of my fields on its own line in the text box, then do "create report from item", the result is below

Type Report
    Extra PI: Smith, JS Grant title: The role of tear film lipids in dry eye disease Grant number: R01-AR123456 Funding Body: National Eye Institute Beginning and end dates: 04/20/19 - 06/30/24 Annual direct funds: $125,000
    Date Added 5/22/2020, 12:20:05 PM
    Modified 5/22/2020, 12:20:37 PM

If I enter the all of the example grant information into the "title" field of "item type-report", and then do create bibliography from item, and use citation style "National Library of Medicine (grant proposals with PMCID/PMID), I get the following output

PI: Smith, JS Grant title: The role of tear film lipids in dry eye disease Grant number: R01-AR123456 Funding Body: National Eye Institute Beginning and end dates: 04/20/19 - 06/30/24 Annual direct funds: $125,000.

Although this is closer to what I want as an output, the field columns in the main window are not populated for "creator" and "date". Note that even if "date" was populated, the relevant field in my example grant information is a date range, not a single date.
  • I can offer some tips, but it depends a bit on the citation style you are using. What style is that?
  • For the citations in our library that are published journal articles with a PCMID/PMID, I use citation style "National Library of Medicine (grant proposals with PMCID/PMID). This is because I have to have the PCMID and/or PMID number in the bibliography.

However, for grants, I would like the printed output to be exactly as below:

Since there is no PCMID/PMID number associated with the above information, I don't need to use the citation style I mentioned above. I would use whatever citation style is available that could generate this output.

As I indicated above, if I put this example grant information into a single field ("title") of the "report" item type, and I create a bibliography from this item using the citation style "National Library of Medicine (grant proposals with PMCID/PMID)", I get the following bibliography

PI: Smith, JS Grant title: The role of tear film lipids in dry eye disease Grant number: R01-AR123456 Funding Body: National Eye Institute Beginning and end dates: 04/20/19 - 06/30/24 Annual direct funds: $125,000.

I could just use "return" at the appropriate locations to generate the result I want:

I have not tried any other citation styles.

However, the problem with entering all of the information into the "title" field is that "creator" (as well as other columns of interest, such as date) does not show up in the columns of the main display window of zotero. In this case it would not be easy sort the citations by creator (or year)
  • I would not be generating a single bibliography that contains both 1) publications, and 2) grants. The grants bibliography would always separately generated. So while I use the citation style "National Library of Medicine (grant proposals with PMCID/PMID)" for the publications, I could use any citation style for the grants that would generate the output below:

• I have found a temporary workaround for entering grants into zotero and to get a bibliography in our desired format.

The desired format for the bibliography is:

PI: Smith, JS.
    Grant title: The role of tear film lipids in dry eye disease.
    Grant number: R01-AR123456.
    Funding Body: National Eye Institute.
    Start-end dates: 04/20/19 - 06/30/24.
    Annual direct funds: $125,000.

It is important to note that grants bibliography is not a combined bibliography with citations for publications (such as journal articles).

To enter the information into zotero, I use FIle, New Item, Report. In the title field, enter:

PI: Smith, JS.Grant title: The role of tear film lipids in dry eye disease.Grant number: R01-AR123456.Funding Body: National Eye Institute.Start-end dates: 04/20/19 - 06/30/24.Annual direct funds: $125,000.

In the Extra field, enter:
    19/04/20-24/06/30.
    and then have the field Extra as a column in the main window of Zotero. This allows for sorting on the Start date of the grant.

Immediately to the right of the item type icon in the main window of zotero, will be:
    PI: Smith, JS.Grant title: The role of tear film lipids in dry eye.........
    This makes it easy to visualize, as well as sort, on the name of the PI.

Generate bibliography from the item, using style Journal of Investigative Dermatology, and save as RTF. Open the RTF in an ms word doc. Do Advanced Find and Replace All with:
    Find: .
    Replace with: .manual line break

This results in a line break after each period in the document, and generates the desired format for the bibliography.