Zotero Google Docs is very, very slow

2»
  • Hi all, since I updated my zotero desktop (mac) I have the same problem. It takes about 30-60 sec to insert a citation, before it was very fast.
  • @schuerch: We need the same information we've asked others for — Debug IDs from both Zotero and the Zotero Connector for an attempt to insert a citation that's slow.
  • edited May 12, 2020
    it actually takes 1-2 min to open the dialog.

here's my debug ID:
    Submitted with Debug ID D1848976615

restarting the computer, chrome and zotero itself doesn't help (just tested)
    zotero 5.0.86
    chrome 81.0.4044.138
    zotero connector 5.0.65

zotero connector report ID: 1273886803
  • You didn't provide a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector. We can't help unless you provide the information we ask for.
    this is unacceptable
    Please don't post things like this here. Obviously we don't find 1-2 minute delays acceptable, but it's not yet clear if this is related to an update or is just a problem from Google servers. We can't reproduce it.
  • I updated my comment, see above. thanks for helping
  • That's a Report ID. We need a Debug ID. The link I provided includes instructions for both Zotero and the Zotero Connector — all you need to do is follow them.
  • i submitted another connector report, see here: 148006387
  • That's another Report ID.
  • Sorry, I oversaw this.

Here's my DEBUG IDs:
    Zotero: D504026923
    Connector: D1509462024

Thanks.
  • Interestingly, adding a citation to an already existing citation works just fine
  • 49906976 this is the ID, from zotero from the one submitted above.

Then i did it all again, with a new doc, diffrent source from the connector:D117977494
    From zotero itself: 1522379336
  • edited May 12, 2020
    @CedricJ: Report IDs are not helpful here. We need Debug IDs.
  • D1588920668 from zotero
    D732977209 from connector
    New doc, new source
    Took around a minute
  • @CedricJ, @schuerch At the very top of the document editor there's some grey text saying "All changes saved in Drive", which after editing the document turns to "Saving" and then turns back to "All changes saved in Drive". If you type normally in the document, how long does it take to change into "Saving" and then back into "All changes saved in Drive" for you?
  • @adomasven
    around a second
  • Around 2/3 seconds
  • @CedricJ, @schuerch Could you check to see whether it works better/fine on Firefox?
  • edited May 12, 2020
    @CedricJ, @schuerch Also, when you attempt to insert a citation, you should see Zotero insert {Updating} where your text cursor was. The text above should change to "Saving" and then back to "All changes saved in Drive". When the text changes back to "All changes saved in Drive" is when the citation dialog should open from Zotero. Are you seeing something like this? Perhaps "Saving" appears for a prolonged amount of time, or "All changes saved in Drive" show up, but the citation dialog does not?
  • @adomasven

it is MUCH faster in firefox. like normal before in chrome.

hope this helps.
  • edited May 12, 2020
    @adomasven

gosh. now my chrome connector stopped working and it is stuck at the "authorization complete" page.

I had not installed firefox, I was only using chrome. I just did this to test it for you... and now chrome extension stopped working. nice.

I'm starting to think that this is a CHROME issue... not able to connect to zotero now.
  • edited May 12, 2020
    @schuerch Please refrain from snarky comments. We are trying to figure out what's causing the problem so we can fix this for you and all Zotero users, and a cooperative attitude goes a long way. See https://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines#etiquette

Could you restart Zotero and Chrome and test for my last request again? We can only deploy a Beta Connector for Firefox right now and if you cannot reproduce the problem there it will be harder to test a potential fix, so also make sure you certainly can't reproduce the problem in Firefox. The problem is only triggered when inserting new, not editing existing, citations.
  • @adomasven

sorry, that was unprofessional. I apologize.

I'm unfortunately not able to reproduce the bug because my chrome extension cannot connect to zotero anymore. I tried several things (reinstalling etc.) but couldn't get it to work. any suggestions?
  • What is happening exactly? You said it gets stuck on the authorization complete page? What happens if you close it (and wait)? Is anything else wrong?
  • it's working again. I must have turned something off in the connector app. but it is still very slow, as before. I'm using firefox for now. please let me know when the chrome issue is fixed. thanks!
  • Could you provide information for my previous question?
    Also, when you attempt to insert a citation, you should see Zotero insert "{Updating}" where your text cursor was. The text above should change to "Saving" and then back to "All changes saved in Drive". When the text changes back to "All changes saved in Drive" is when the citation dialog should open from Zotero. Are you seeing something like this? Perhaps "Saving" appears for a prolonged amount of time, or "All changes saved in Drive" show up, but the citation dialog does not?
  • edited May 12, 2020
    OK. It is on "saving" for about 1 sec, then it changes to "all changes saved in drive" (and after that only the cloud is visible). the citation dialog is on the waiting bar and takes about 1.5 min until I can search for the citation to be inserted.

I'm happy to host a brief ZOOM to show you in person, if you like.
  • @schuerch @CedricJ we have published a potential fix for this issue. Could you test insertion in Chrome again and confirm whether the problem is gone?
  • @adomasven

thank you very much. I updated the zotero connector extension and now it works normal again! you are great!!!