No text shown in menu bars

Hi,

I have just installed Zotero on Mac, but there's no text shown in the menu bars, eg when I click the green dot with a white plus. A menu appears though, I can click it as well and the program does what I should do but it would be nice to know what's hidden behind the white menu.
Does anybody know the solution for that?

Thanks a lot!
  • Are you using Dark Mode?

Can you open Terminal via Spotlight, paste in this command, press Return, and let us know what the output is?

defaults read org.zotero.zotero NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance

If you're using the Zotero beta, use this instead:

defaults read org.zotero.zotero-beta NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance
  • Hi,

I´m not using dark mode.

Thats the result:
    defaults read org.zotero.zotero NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance

2020-04-29 07:56:38.999 defaults[739:9288]
    The domain/default pair of (org.zotero.zotero, NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance) does not exist

Problem still exists...

Thanks a lot for your help!
  • What macOS version?

Can you provide a Report ID?
  • @MarioF92: And how about just this?

defaults read org.zotero.zotero
  • Thats what ist says...

mario$ defaults read org.zotero.zotero
    {
    NSFullScreenMenuItemEverywhere = 0;
    NSTreatUnknownArgumentsAsOpen = NO;
    }

report id is 1344574669, but there is no problem reported.
    My system is Catalina 10.15.4
  • edited April 29, 2020
    Are you running any third-party software that might affect the appearance of windows?

This probably won't work, but can you try running defaults delete -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance in Terminal, logging out, and logging back in? (That command clears any app-specific Dark Mode overrides. Since that flag isn't set for your Zotero it's unlikely to help here, but setting that flag to false for Zotero is one way I can reproduce this.)

Toggling Dark Mode on and off with Zotero closed is probably also worth a try.

You can almost certainly fix this by using a new macOS user account, but it'd obviously be much better to figure out what in your existing account is breaking this. I believe the only reports of this we've seen in the past have been related to Dark Mode.
  • defaults delete -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -> This one fixed it.

Thanks so much for your help ;)
  • edited April 30, 2020
    Have you used Dark Mode previously? Is it possible you ran a defaults write command involving that flag (e.g., following instructions like these) to customize Dark Mode on a per-app basis? Or run some third-party app that might have done so?
  • Yeah, I used the app NightOwl before to automatically change into dark mode this function wasn't available in MacOs itself...
  • Ah, that sounds like it would do it. Thanks.