generating bibliography from a book-length manuscript

edited April 21, 2020
I have finished writing a book-length manuscript in MS Word, with each chapter saved as a separate Word file. All secondary sources have been cited in my endnotes using the Zotero citation function in Word. How can I now generate a single bibliography of all these sources cited along the way? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • edited April 21, 2020
    (Always save a backup of your documents first.)

In principle, you should be able to just copy and paste everything into a single, combined document and add a bibliography. Try that, and if it does not work you can reply here and ask for more help.

(Note that there is no way to maintain separate bibliographies per section or link multiple documents. So if you want to keep separate files, that's fine, but you'll need to manually combine them then save the combined bibliography and add that separately to your final document when you put everything together. As with saving backups, in this case you'll actually only be creating a copy for the full draft, and then go back to those origin files if you need to edit your documents again.)

(Oh, and finally, in case you happen to be using a Mac, this may run VERY slowly if it's a long document with many references. It can actually be faster if you happen to have a Windows PC available just to generate this combined bibliography, or you can just wait, perhaps several hours, for everything to be generated. Of course you should only need to do that once.)