Citing Chigago Manual 17th ed. - document pref: 'Nederlands'

Hello,

I noticed a problem with this style when the doc preference language is set to Nederlands: it gives double quotes instead of single quotes. It should be single quotes.
This differs form the English preference.

Using the English preference is no option as it makes unwanted uppercases.
See following examples:

nb. I am using Zotero 5.0.85 & have updated the Style.

I hope you can solve this problem?

===

Chicago Manual 17th edition (full note, ibid)- doc pref: English UK

Bibliography:
Bosch, Toon. ‘Natuur En Cultuur. Modernisering van Hulpverlening Na Catastrofale Overstromingen in de Nederlandse Delta, 1740-1861’. Tijdschrift Voor Waterstaatsgeschiedenis 21, no. 1/2 (2012): 39–47.

Note:
1. Toon Bosch, ‘Natuur En Cultuur. Modernisering van Hulpverlening Na Catastrofale Overstromingen in de Nederlandse Delta, 1740-1861’, Tijdschrift Voor Waterstaatsgeschiedenis 21, no. 1/2 (2012): 339–47.

===

Chicago Manual 17th edition (full note, ibid)- Doc pref: Nederlands (Dutch)

Bibliography:
Bosch, Toon. “Natuur en cultuur. Modernisering van hulpverlening na catastrofale overstromingen in de Nederlandse Delta, 1740-1861”. Tijdschrift voor Waterstaatsgeschiedenis 21, nr. 1/2 (2012): 39–47.

Note:
1. Toon Bosch, “Natuur en cultuur. Modernisering van hulpverlening na catastrofale overstromingen in de Nederlandse Delta, 1740-1861”, Tijdschrift voor Waterstaatsgeschiedenis 21, nr. 1/2 (2012): 339–47.

• @Rintze thoughts? Wikipedia agrees with EBoersma on this
  • OK, I've updated this. I believe this will take until the next Zotero version to update in citation styles, though.
  • Thanks guys!

Is there an option that I get the style update before the next Zotero version?
  • edited April 16, 2020
    Edit the CSL style file and at the top after the other locale section add:

<locale xml:lang="nl">
    <terms>
    <term name="open-quote">‘</term>
    <term name="close-quote">’</term>
    <term name="open-inner-quote">“</term>
    <term name="close-inner-quote">”</term>
    </terms>
    </locale>
  • I am sorry, but can you explain this a bit more as I have never edited a CSL style before
  • I inserted this in de style file. But running against CSL Validator gave an error:

Line 46: Element “locale” from namespace “http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl” not allowed as child of element “locale” from namespace “http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl” in this context. (Suppressing further errors from this subtree.)

I tried, so please: Help!
  • It looks like you did this almost right, but you either placed the block before </locale> or deleted the existing </locale>
  • The problem was that by copying the fields moved to the left (to little indentation). But I solved it & changed Style Title and ID => is its correct.

How/where can I save this as a CSL Citation Style in my Zotero?
  • How did you create it? If you just save it as a .csl file, double-clicking will install it in Zotero, is that the question?
  • It works! It saves a lot of time.

I tried something else: I wanted editor displayed as red. (in stead of 'onder redactie van'). I added a line: red.

It works fine in my notes, but strangely not in the bibliography (where editor is still displayed as 'onder redactie van'). Maybe I need to change something else?

==

red.

• Sorry about this: I should have previewed first. apparently it doesn't take a line of CSL code.

I added a line in the same section (beginning and ending with <>):
    term name="editor" form="verb-short">red.</term

it works, as said, fine in notes but not in the bibliography

• edited April 18, 2020
    <code>asdf</code> will do the job.
  • Thanks, but where should I ad this line?
  • (Use the "code" tags here on the forum to share code in a readable way.)
  • @djross3: I don't understand?
  • edited April 18, 2020
    (damnation was not solving your problem, only telling you how to write code here on the forum: wrap it in the "code" tags so we can read it clearly.)
  • My error was that I missed a / ;-).

The code I used is:

<locale xml:lang="nl">
    <terms>
    <term name="editor" form="verb-short">red.</term>
    <term name="open-quote">‘</term>
    <term name="close-quote">’</term>
    <term name="open-inner-quote">“</term>
    <term name="close-inner-quote">”</term>
    </terms>
    </locale>
  • They style uses the "verb" rather than "verb-short" form for the bibliography, so you'd need to redefine it the same way.
  • Yes thanks, this worked.
  • edited April 29, 2020
    I use item type 'manuscript' for archival sources. Often they have no specific date.

In my bibliography and references I am getting z.d. (zonder datum / no date).
    How can I change this? What triggers the z.d. ?

I also want them without quotes, but they come with single quotes.

example:
    ‘AD 1 Oud-archief stadsbestuur Delft, inv.nr. 15.2 Resolutieboeken Veertigraad (15 jan 1650 - jan 1710)’, z.d.

I would like to get:
    AD 1 Oud-archief stadsbestuur Delft, inv.nr. 15.2 Resolutieboeken Veertigraad (15 jan 1650 - jan 1710).
  • How have you entered the item in Zotero? Where is "15 jan 1650 - jan 1710"?
  • In the titel, which is:

AD 1 Oud-archief stadsbestuur Delft, inv.nr. 15.2 Resolutieboeken Veertigraad (15 jan 1650 - jan 1710)
  • anyone any suggestions?
  • Does anyone have a suggestion for my question on item type manuscript? [9 days ago]?

• What does the “ 15 jan 1650 - jan 1710” mean here? Is that an uncertain date or date range?

Chicago calls for undated items to be indicated as such. If the item really doesn’t have a date, you should leave it in place. If you intend for it to have a date range, enter that in Extra like this:
    Issued: 1650-01-15/1710-01-00
  • It is a date range but your suggestion would work for me.

I want the citation to look like:
    AD 1 Oud-archief stadsbestuur Delft, inv.nr. 15.2 Resolutieboeken Veertigraad (15 jan 1650 - jan 1710), dd. 2 jan 1710.

and the bibliography as:
    AD 1 Oud-archief stadsbestuur Delft, inv.nr. 15.2 Resolutieboeken Veertigraad (15 jan 1650 - jan 1710)

Explanation:
    AD = titel archival institution (Archive Delft)
    1 Oud-archief stadsbestuur Delft = archive
    inv.nr 15.2 = location of collection within archive
    Resolutieboeken Veertigraad = name of collections
    date range = date range of collection

--

Until now I used type item book. That has the problem of the title being cursive (and the advantage of getting it into my bibliography).
    I tried using the manuscript as follows:

item type: manuscript
    title: AD 1 Oud-archief stadsbestuur Delft, inv.nr. 15.2 Resolutieboeken Veertigraad (15 jan 1650 - jan 1710)

When citing an individual resolution within this I use the page field for enter the specific date (as dd. 2 jan 1710) or the page number.

the reference looks like:
    ‘AD 1 Oud-archief stadsbestuur Delft, inv.nr. 15.2 Resolutieboeken Veertigraad (15 jan 1650 - jan 1710)’ (z.d.), dd. 2 jan 1710.

Problem: I don't want the quotes and z.d.
    As I have a large number of archival sources it is a problem for me to use book of manuscript item types.

• Let's take a step back. What type of item is this? What exactly are you citing?
  • I am citing an archival source
  • An archival book? An archival letter? An archival manuscript?