Renaming PDF without year of publication

This discussion was created from comments split from: Manually adding metadata to pdfs.
  • I'd like to catch up on this discussion.
    Recently, I figured out that the attached pdf can be either renamed by

1) using the metadata (which gives for example: Einstein- 1905 - Does the inertia of a body...) or
    2) with the ZotFile extension with custom configurations, which would rename the pdf to (Einstein - Does the inertia of a body ...)

My question now is, how can I change the metadata such that, regardless which way I rename the file, it never attaches the year of publication? Furthermore, editing what is shown in the UI would be helpful since I'd like to see in the Zotero-UI at least 3 authors listed, and not et al. if there are more than 3 authors. How can this be changed?

Editing on the right panel would not make much sense, since I need the year of publication in the bibliography.bib file in the end. I'd love to just change what is displayed in the UI. (b/c this abbreviation is very cumbersome when citing papers with the same "main-author" but different co-authors)

Thank you for your help!
    [Apologies if I couldn't figure it out by my self, I'm new here, came from Mendeley:)]
  • Recently, I figured out that the attached pdf can be either renamed by

1) using the metadata (which gives for example: Einstein- 1905 - Does the inertia of a body...) or
    2) with the ZotFile extension with custom configurations, which would rename the pdf to (Einstein - Does the inertia of a body ...)
    No, PDFs can only be automatically renamed using the parent item metadata. Both Zotero and ZotFile can do it, with the latter offering more flexibility — that's the difference.
    My question now is, how can I change the metadata such that, regardless which way I rename the file, it never attaches the year of publication?
    If you use ZotFile, you can configure renaming however you want.
    Furthermore, editing what is shown in the UI would be helpful since I'd like to see in the Zotero-UI at least 3 authors listed, and not et al. if there are more than 3 authors. How can this be changed?
    If you're referring to what's shown in the middle pane of Zotero, that can't be configured.