How to get all 16 authors listed in bibliography for one paper?

The zotero reference will only list and copy 10 authors but the paper has 16 authors. All 16 are listed when I click on the reference to edit but they don't all show up on the final reference in my bibliography.
  • This is controlled by the style. What style are you using?
  • Surely all styles require all authors to be listed for a reference in the bibliography?
  • Certainly not.
    Otherwise we wouldn't need 9000 different citation styles. ;)

MDPI defines to list no more than 10 authors in their guidelines:
    "For documents co-authored by a large number of persons (more than 10 authors), youcan either cite all authors, or cite the first ten authors, then add a semicolon and add ‘et al.’ at the end:Author 1; Author 2; Author 3; Author 4; Author 5; Author 6; Author 7; Author 8; Author 9; Author 10; et al."

Is this for personal use? Then we can give you instructions how to.
  • Also note that the MDPI style Zotero uses was produced by the publisher itself, so you can generally assume that they prefer only up to 10 authors.
  • This is for my thesis which doesn't require a specific bibliography style so I was using the style required by the journal I'll be submitting to for publication, in an effort to save me some extra work!
  • In that case, I would suggest just using the MDPI style as currently presented in Zotero. It follows the publisher guidelines.
  • Ah, ok. I didn't really think about that so journal won't care. I'll soon see if the university does...
  • Thank you!
  • You can remove et-al-min="11" et-al-use-first="10" from the author macro of the style.
    Make sure to then also change ID and self link as explained here: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • @debgmcc: To clarify, though, there can be papers with dozens, hundreds, or thousands of authors, so there's nothing at all strange about a style limiting the number of authors displayed.