Cannot Install Microsoft Word Add-in (Mac) "Error: File

I'm trying to install the Microsoft Word Add-In for Zotero on Microsoft Word for Mac version 16.34 (Office 365). I have the latest version of Zotero installed (and I tried reinstalling). I get this error:

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "The file Zotero.dot couldn't be opened because there is no such file. @[setTemplateTypeCreator:install.m:223]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 227" data: no]

Anyone else having this? Can anyone offer a suggestion? I've noticed similar threads over the years on this forum.
  • First, make sure you haven't changed the Word Startup folder to a non-default location — it should be blank when you check the current location.

Then delete Zotero from Applications and download it again.

Finally, if you're still having trouble, follow the manual installation steps and check that you actually have Zotero.dot and Zotero.dotm in the directory specified there. If you don't, something on your system (e.g., security software) is deleting it after you download Zotero.
  • Also make sure that your User Account has permissions to edit the Word Startup folder. It might not if you had opened Zotero or Word as Administrator at some point. Deleting the Word Startup folder and retrying the plugin installer in Zotero Preferences might fix the issue.