I can't edit references anymore. Word for office 365 Win10

Report ID: 2002951972

Zotero version 5.0.84
Word for Office 365 MSO 16.0.12527.20260 64bit

When I try to edit references and bibliography in a previously created Word file, Zotero displays the message 'Zotero experienced an error updating your document.' in the middle pane.

I have made the document before and everything worked flawlessy.
I opened the document a coupled of days later and it is not working anymore.
  • Is the document stored on OneDrive? Does it work if you move it into local computer storage?
  • edited March 21, 2020
    Yes, It is stored on OneDrive but I tried to move the file into local computer storage and it does not work too.

I also tried to copy and paste the text into a new document and it doesn't work.

If I create a new document without pasting the old text, Zotero works
  • On a local copy of the file (not in OneDrive), try the Debugging Broken Documents steps, and if you get to the latest step email the document — or an excerpt of it that doesn't work — to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • I've tried all the step, I'm going to sent the email to support. Thank you.
  • The excerpt you sent is working fine for me — I opened the file, clicked at the end, and pressed Add/Edit Bibliography, and a bibliography appeared.

Can you try that? Save the file you emailed to a folder on your local drive, open it, and try the same thing.
  • edited March 21, 2020
    It works for the excerpt.
    I emailed to myself the entire document, saved the attached file on local drive and it does not work.
    I don't know why
  • That's the point of the Debugging Broken Documents steps. If it works for the excerpt and not the whole document, you need to follow those steps — and specifically the last step — until you isolate the portion that's breaking.

(There's no need to email the file to yourself. You just need to make sure you're opening a document that's saved to the local drive. To be safe, make sure you're actually opening a saved document on the local drive, not just working in an unsaved document when you were last using OneDrive.)
  • I did, as I did all the steps in "Debugging Broken Documents".
    I opened again today the file I sent to me yesterday, saved in local drive outside OneDrive and it doesn't work. The same file I sent to you and that worked yesterday.
    I'm more confused than before, now.
  • edited March 22, 2020
    I used another computer and It works also with the file on OneDrive. Of course, I have no idea why
  • The first order of operation would be to make sure Windows and Office are updated to their latest versions. If it still does not work could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero for the file on the local drive?

1. In the Zotero Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    2. In the file that is causing you problems and is stored locally perform any Zotero command (i.e. Add/Edit Citation) and click through any dialogs.
    3. Before doing anything else, return to Zotero Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.
  • Debug ID: D1734783091
  • Are you running either Zotero or Word as administrator? If not, could you test by running both as administrator to see if it fixes it? Note: running either program as administrator normally is not recommended, this is just a troubleshooting step.
  • Running both zotero and word as adminstrator everything works just fine.
  • Are you sure you are not normally running Word as administrator for some reason? Did you perform any updates or troubleshooting for a different problem with Word before this started? If you create a new user account on the computer and try citing with Zotero in Word running without administrator privileges does it work well (note that your library won't be present in a new user account, you will have to create some sample items to cite)?
  • -- Are you sure you are not normally running Word as administrator for some reason?
    - On the other computer I've tried (and it works), yes.

-- Did you perform any updates or troubleshooting for a different problem with Word before this started?
    - Nope

-- If you create a new user account on the computer and try citing with Zotero in Word running without administrator privileges does it work well (note that your library won't be present in a new user account, you will have to create some sample items to cite)?
    - It works from another account without administrator privileges
  • After I made step 6 in the "Troubleshooting Errors in Wrod Processor Documents" and I saved the document local instead of onedrive, I could cite again.