Zotero library gone

I've worked with Zotero for the last two weeks but when I opened the program today, the library was gone. It looks as if I've opened the program for the first time. I've installed zotero-snap, the version is Zotero 5.0.84.
  • You'll probably need to ask the Snap maintainer (@extraymond). I don't know how the Snap package handles its data directory.

But in general, see Locating Missing Zotero Data.
  • Hi! @Jana000, snap maintainer here, would like to get some feedback.

Prior to the latest released version on stable(revision 12), the snap will assume XDG_HOME inside it's own $SNAP_NAME/VERSION/HOME directory, which will get forgotten after version updates, I've include the instruction to avoid this before on the landing page. That is to put the project folder in a more persistent location where snaps can always see between version upgrades.

The newest version will point that path automatically to SNAP_NAME/COMMON/Zotero which is the preferred location for a snap to find version agnostic data.

Can you help me by, backing up your data ~/snap/zotero-snap/$some_version/Zotero, remove the snap/zotero-snap folder and start it again?

If successfully, there will be a ~/snap/zotero-snap/common/Zotero where will last between versions.

After that, you can put your data backup into that folder. Hope this solve your problem.
  • Hi @extraymond, that helped, thank you for the fast reply! Do I need to do something more to prevent this happening again (e.g. like moving the project folder) or is the problem going to be fixed in the upcoming versions?
  • I believe the latest version will prevent it from happening again.
    I've mapped the config and home folder to a common place, so it will persist across updates.