error 1810753907

Report ID : 1810753907
zotero version 5.0.84

I have a persistent error in using Zotero (stand alone, updated 10 march 2020) on my word (office 365. windows 10). This first occures when I want to introduce a quotation in an existing word document (but now persists with other documents).

"an error occured during document update" in Italian : "si รจ verificato un errore di Zotero nel corso dell'aggiornamento del documento".

In order to identify and solve the problem I have taken the following action:
- closing Zotero and reopening it, closing Word and reopening it, restarting the computer. All this quite some times,
- tried to change the citation style from the Zotero interface,
- deleted the bibliography and generated a new one,
- restore a backup sqlite file backed up a couple of days before the problem ocurred,
- copied and pasted the whole text to a new word document,
- downloaded again Zotero and launching reinstallation (doing so the message I received indicated it had actually updated Zotero rather than reinstalled it),
- Unlink all references in my word file so that I only have plain text and reintroduce,
- Open a new word document (empty) and try to introduce new citations. It sometimes manage for a couple of them, but then crashes after a couple of insertions,
- Export reference in another bibliographic format (RIS, BIBTEX) deleting all references in the updated Zotero program and importing again from the "non Zotero" format,
- instruct Zotero to install the word plug in (strange it was working in word, but Zotero was saying it was not,
- uninstall Zotero and install a fresh version (note that after installation Zotero was pointing to the directory previously used, so that it retained apparently some information from the previous installations,
To this I add:
- No track changes option on
- Checked various options on the "debugging broken document" web page.
- I was not able to identify a citation creating the problem

excerpt of zotero quotation field

ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM CSL_CITATION {"citationID":"Al2HpCts","properties":{"formattedCitation":"(Menga and Ceraolo 2008)","plainCitation":"(Menga and Ceraolo 2008)","noteIndex":0},"citationItems":[{"id":4453,"uris":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Ta9nbAO2/items/XHW2DICN"],"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Ta9nbAO2/items/XHW2DICN"],"itemData":{"id":4453,"type":"paper-conference","abstract":"1 Summary This paper presents a method for evaluating quantitatively the environmental relative value of different vehi-cle typologies. The method allows comparing different environmental effects of road transport, both local (pollutants such as CO, NOx, HC, that pose a threat to citizen health) and global (global warming, depletion of natural re-sources, acid rain), on the basis of effect normalisation and weighting. The paper presents also an example application of the method, using realistic input data representing real on-road operation, that results in a quantitative comparison of environmental effects of several different classes of vehicles: conventional internal combustion engine based (of either spark ignition and compressed ignition type) hybrid (of several types), electric, FC-based, biofuel based. The paper does not address important issues that must beenclosed in future studies, and in particular the en-vironmental impact of construction and recyclyig/disposal of vehicles. The most clear and important result obtained with the proposed analysis is that the presence of electric pro-pulsion in vehicle power train is always beneficial: although the maximum effectiveness is obtained with purely electric vehicles (BEVs), electrification improves markedly conventional vehicles also, either in the mild HEV form, or, better, in the plug-in hybrid electric form.","event":"CEMD conference","event-place":"Lucca","publisher-place":"Lucca","title":"An evaluation of global environmental and energy value of vehicle technologies","author":[{"family":"Menga","given":"P"},{"family":"Ceraolo","given":"Massimo"}],"issued":{"date-parts":[["2008",1,1]]}}}],"schema":"https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/raw/master/csl-citation.json"}
  • Open a new word document (empty) and try to introduce new citations. It sometimes manage for a couple of them, but then crashes after a couple of insertions
    Can you email a new document in which you can reproduce this to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?

If it's not working in a new document then ignore any existing documents for the moment.
    Export reference in another bibliographic format (RIS, BIBTEX) deleting all references in the updated Zotero program and importing again from the "non Zotero" format
    This was definitely not necessary and would've reset all your Date Added/Modified values, as well as broken links to citations in any existing documents. If you have a backup of your Zotero data directory from before you did this, you should restore that.
  • Open a new word document (empty) and try to introduce new citations. It sometimes manage for a couple of them, but then crashes after a couple of insertions
    @ssinaima So you're saying you can reproduce this in a new document? Could you confirm whether:
    1. Inserting any specific reference causes the error?
    2. Any reference insertion does not work after inserting a specific one?

Also:
    3. What is the specific version number of Word that you are running?
    4. Does this error occur when both inserting a new citation and editing an existing one. Does editing any citations work in a broken document (if there's a lot of citations testing 5 or so across the full doc is good enough)?
  • > @ssinaima So you're saying you can reproduce this in a new document? Could you confirm whether:
    1. Inserting any specific reference causes the error?

That is what I first suspected, but did not find a strict rule like this in the trials I did.

2. Any reference insertion does not work after inserting a specific one?

I cannot confirm this assumption. I have tried to check for this but what happened was not sufficiently systematic.

>Also:
    >3. What is the specific version number of Word that you are running?

Word 2013 15.0.4569.1504

>4. Does this error occur when both inserting a new citation and editing an existing >one.
    The error also occured when editing an existing reference

>Does editing any citations work in a broken document (if there's a lot of citations >testing 5 or so across the full doc is good enough)?

I made some tests. At worst, it fails at the first quotation I try to edit. But in other cases I manage to edit several of them before it crashes.
  • It looks like that's an extremely old version of Word 2013 from 2014. You should start by updating to the latest version, from February 2020.
  • thank you for pointing this to me and record that automatic update in windows may not be sufficient to update Word. I have now installed an updated version of Office 365 and made some tests.
    Seems to work.
    I have also restored the Zotero directory .
    I'll post only if the problem appears again. If you don't hear from me, thank you for your help.