Editing style to show "legislative body" for bills in bibliography

In my research, I need to cite bills and parliamentary motions in Scandinavian legislatures and mostly use an author-date style. Bills and motions come with their own specific reference number (e.g., 'Prop. 1977/78:135' or 'Mot. 1952:AK410'), but most author-date styles leave out the reference number.

I've now managed to edit the Annual Reviews (author-date) style so as to display the bill/motion number in the bibliography, but I would also like it to display the value for the field "Legislative body" (i.e., to indicate that this is e.g. a motion presented in the Swedish parliament). Why does only the first text variable here display correctly?

• If you are trying to show code here you need to wrap it into <code>asdf</code> tags. But if it is a larger piece of code, please post it to pastebin/hastebin and link it here. Better.

You might also find this useful: https://aurimasv.github.io/z2csl/typeMap.xml
  • Ah, thanks – here's the code snippet I tried to post:

<else-if type="bill legislation" match="any">
    <group>
    <text variable="number"/>
    <text variable="publisher" form="long"/>
    </group>
    </else-if>
  • As per the link I gave you above you need to call the variable "authority" and not publisher, then it will display what you need.
  • Thank you so much, danmnation!
    Here's what I added to the style:

<group>
    <text variable="authority" form="long" prefix=", "/>
    </group>
    </else-if>

…which gives exactly what I want, e.g.:

Kulturdepartementet. 2000. En uthållig demokrati! Politik för folkstyrelse på 2000-talet. SOU 2000:1
    Swedberg R, Elmén B, Ståhl M, Braconier J. 1952. Om en allmän översyn av gällande regler om frihetsberövande. Mot. 1952:AK410, Sveriges riksdag
    Utrikesdepartementet. 1978. Riktlinjer för internationellt utvecklingssamarbete m. m. Prop. 1977/78:135

However, for parliamentary debate protocols, I get some redundancies (item type 'bill' and 'hearing' give the same result):
    Sveriges riksdag. 1984. Protokoll 1983/84:56. Prot. 1983/84:56, Sveriges riksdag

Probably the best solution would be to use the 'hearing' item type for chamber debate protocols and edit the citation style so as to omit the redundant info, like so:

Sveriges riksdag. 1984. Protokoll 1983/84:56

But if I understand the link you provided, that wouldn't work, as Zotero's item type hearing maps onto the CSL type bill.

Are there any other ways to achieve what I want (apart from the obvious: editing the bibliography manually or delete field values in my Zotero library)?
  • Better:

<group delimiter=",">
    <text variable="authority" form="long" />
    </group>
    </else-if>

;)

Re the other question regarding legal cites, somebody else needs to chime in. That's always black magic for me.