registered but cannot sync

I'm registered, I've entered my username / pw in Preferences - Sync but get the error message: invalid login/pass. Any suggestions?
  • Did you enter your username or your e-mail address? You currently need to use the former in the Sync prefs.
  • Thanks Dan - it makes no difference. I just changed to the username only, restarted FFox but get the same error. I've tried retyping several times so I'm sure there's no typo.

I'm using FF 3.5 which sometimes behaves a little strangely in other respects - maybe to do with that.

Maybe I should just re-register.
  • There's no need to create a new account. If there's a problem on our end, it needs to be fixed. If not—well, that'd be good to know too. (Also, keep in mind that you were using your e-mail address previously, so there's no surprise that it wasn't working before.)

Please clear both fields, re-enter your username and password, and try again, and let us know if it doesn't work.
  • Tried that - still no joy.

I've recorded the debug output if that's any help (how to send it to you?).
  • What username are you trying to use? Just to clarify here, your username is stephengourlay. I see no record of login attempts with that username.
  • That seems to be it!

I log into forums using my email address - and was using the first part of the email instead of the Zotero username. My fault. Thanks for you help.
  • Hi,

I am a long-time Endnote user trying out Zotero for the first time, attracted in no small part by the promise of syncing to multiple computers. Alas, I can't sync, either. I'm getting the same message as Stephen. Initially I thought my library was too big at 1700 items, but then I read some of the other threads. I have Firefox 3.0.11 running on OS X 10.5.6.

Thank you
    mgrowhoski
  • edited July 21, 2009
    did you try following the troubleshooting guidelines?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/sync#troubleshooting
    If so, what exactly happens? Can you generate an error report? What is the report ID?
  • yes, i tried that. the error shows the pop-up message "invalid login/pass."

i also tried to log the session, but it doesn't say very much more:

zotero(3): Session ID not available -- logging in

zotero(3): HTTP POST version=5&username=mgrowhoski&password=********************* to https://sync.zotero.org/login

zotero(1): Invalid login/pass
  • The error message means what it says. Check your username and password in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Thanks for getting back so quickly. I have done so several times, and did so again just now. It just doesn't work. As you can see, I'm able to log in here--that's the same password, correct? I'm using my username, not the full email address.
  • A friend of mine suggests that my tags might be too long, but says that was supposed to have been fixed by now?
  • edited July 22, 2009
    I'm getting the username not set on server error message when I try to sync. When I go to the profile, I do not seem to have a username nor can I figure out a way to get one. I have an old account but have not used Zotero much at all in the past. What to do next?
  • in any case the tags would produce a different error message - sync would hang after a while and produce a more complicated error message.
    The password is the same, yes. Your username as of above looks fine, too.
    I don't really have a good idea, but maybe you could try changing your password to something simple and then retrying (under Settings)? Everything looks like a wrong password for some reason, so we'd want to make very sure that's not going on for some weird reason.
  • And weirdly enough, the website won't let me change my password, either (it is saying "Incorrect password"). I also pretended to have forgotten it (from the preferences pane), but the system's not sending me replacement instructions. This doesn't sound like an extension problem, maybe?
  • The forgotten password e-mail was accepted by your mail server at 2:06 p.m., so I suspect your server is just taking a while to deliver it. You should check your spam folder, though.
  • Thank you-- I found it in the spam, and whatever was happening, changing the password seems to have done the trick. If you're curious, my original password was only 6 characters long, including 1 number, and no caps or symbols. (I added some extra *'s in the above post out of paranoia)
  • (I added some extra *'s in the above post out of paranoia)
    (The number of asterisks in the debug output doesn't correspond to the number of characters in the password.)
  • jashenhurst: Your particular username is a truncated version of your e-mail address, but it's now possible to use your e-mail address in the Zotero client. Enter it and your password in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences, accessible from the gear menu.