Slimplify adding new resources into Zotero library

I'm a new user of Zotero and I think it is a fantastic tool for documenting research materials and creating bibliographies. I hope to see Zotero develop into a online research assistant program capable of facilitating tasks necessary for any research project. I have three suggestions to make adding new records into the Zotero library easier.

First, I think the 'link' and 'snapshot' buttons should be taken out and the 'create new item from current page' be renamed 'add current web page'. It took me a while to figure out the best way of saving web pages onto Zotero. This is because I didn't know the difference between the 'link', 'snapshot' and the 'create new item' buttons. It turned out that the "create new item from current page" button was the most useful for me. I think that this button makes the 'link' and 'snapshot' button redundant because the 'new item' button creates a URL link, creates a snapshot (thus permitting annotation), and creates the bibliographic record (enabling note taking). I understand that Zotero needs to be flexible for different users but I feel eliminating redundancy will reduce 'feature overload' and make Zotero easier for first time users.

Second, I think an 'add current PDF file' should be added as well. Alot of research material on the internet is in PDF, so simplifying the process of adding PDFs from the internet into Zotero will the program easier to use. While you can add a PDF file into the library and attach a bibliographic record onto the PDF file when you click on the address bar button (which is fantastic and I think that should be the default setting), sometimes that is not possible because the address bar button does not pop up. This means that I had to save my PDF file somewhere on my computer, create the record, then find my PDF file again to attach it with the record. My vision is that when you open a PDF file on your firefox browser, you would click on the 'add current PDF file' to save the PDF file into your library and automatically attach a bibliographic record on it. The 'add current PDF file' would be located on the zotero pane beside the 'add new web page'. Even cooler, the 'add new web page' button turns into the 'add current PDF file' button when you are viewing a PDF file.

Third, I think an "add file from your computer" may be useful. When I first downloaded Zotero, I wanted to add many files from my hard drive into Zotero but was discouraged by the effort. First-time users may have lots of research files on their computer that they want to add into Zotero, so finding an easy way to add them would go a long way in making Zotero useful for initial users. My vision is that you would click on this button, find the files you want to add into Zotero, then Zotero would copy the files into your library and automatically attach a bibliographic record onto each file. Again, this new button would be on the zotero pane beside the "add current web page" and "add current PDF file". That said, I now know that you can add files by dragging and dropping them directly into the Zotero pane and that zotero 1.5 beta can automatically fill in bibliographic information. I feel that both are intuitive and time-saving features, and superior my button proposal. However, the features are not that obvious for users. I think that the documentation for first-time users should make it clear that users can add files into Zotero by dragging and dropping the files into the pane and show users how to use the 'fill metadata' feature in 1.5.

Well, these are some of my suggestions. I look forward to using zotero 1.5 when it comes out of beta mode and future incarnations of zotero!
  • edited April 27, 2009
    Drag-and-drop can solve more than one of your problems, in fact. If you open a PDF in Firefox, then drag and drop the favicon from the address bar into the center column in Zotero, it will add it to your library. There will be some semantic confusion in the controls, because they will refer to the file as a Snapshot, but in every practical sense, it will still be the shortcut to adding PDFs that you're looking for.

Are you a Windows, Linux or Mac user? I think part of the drag-and-drop confusion that some people have is a question of what environment you're used to. Most of the people on the Zotero team (and a goodly number of Zotero's users) are Mac users. Drag-and-drop has always been a strongly emphasized part of using a Mac. It took me a while to internalize the difference when I switched from PCs to Macs.

This probably could be made more apparent in the documentation. The Quick Start Guide doesn't really get into that kind of detail, focusing more on automatically capturing items from the address bar. The page on adding items to your library does mention dragging-and-dropping a few times, but it could be that all the prose is a little off-putting. Bulletted items may be the future of Zotero documentation.

Lastly, and quite out of order, your first concern: The data structure in Zotero will probably change around slightly in the near future, making the Add Snapshot and Add Link buttons a thing of the past. Basically, this is for the reasons you stated, among others. Keep an eye out and hopefully all your problems will be licked before too long.
  • I'm a windows user, so that may explain my actions. I'll remember to try that trick when I download PDFs. Keep up the good work!
  • I'm a Linux user waiting to enjoy drag and drop PDF and fighting with 1500 PDF articles to store from my local FF. Did you know the time schedulle to solve the PDF management including retrieving metadata for Linux users?
    In my case retrieving metadata doesn't work also using the workarround of new link file.
    Thank's in advance
  • edited July 11, 2009
    It turned out that the "create new item from current page" button was the most useful for me. I think that this button makes the 'link' and 'snapshot' button redundant because the 'new item' button creates a URL link, creates a snapshot (thus permitting annotation), and creates the bibliographic record (enabling note taking).
    I cannot agree. I find it useful to be able to group several HTML pages into one Zotero item.
  • I find it useful to be able to group several HTML pages into one Zotero item.
    This is still possible. Right click the item & select "attach snapshot of current page."
  • @melcior: how does retrieve metadata not work for you? I'm also hoping for drag&drop to work, but I've used metadata retrieval with decent success (on linux/ubuntu 9.04 that is).
  • I sent a ticket about metadata retrieving : 1568472489
    I receive an error and zotero hangs asking meto restart firefox
    Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; ca; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5
    Ubuntu Jaunty
    Zotero 2.0b6.3
  • I use the workarroud with PDF files with link to file to be abble to include it in my library and after I try to recover the metadata.
    I do wrong things?.
    Any help is wellcomed. This is a big annoyance for me. I moved probably excessively faster to zotero over linux and I'm paying the side effects .
    Thank's in advance
  • melcior: Did you send that error report before restarting Firefox? There are no Zotero errors in there.

Can you reliably reproduce the error? Does it happen with all files? Can you list an example file (publicly available, ideally) on which it occurs?
  • @benmeister: It turned out that the "create new item from current page" button was the most useful for me. I think that this button makes the 'link' and 'snapshot' button redundant because the 'new item' button creates a URL link, creates a snapshot (thus permitting annotation), and creates the bibliographic record (enabling note taking).

Early on, I used the "create new item from current page" exclusively. But when I looked at the other types of bibliography items I can add to my research, I learned that it makes more sense to create very specific items like books, book sections, cases (for legal cases), statute (for laws), interview, etc. rather than the universal "new item from current page". There are very specific information that can be added to my research which I will tend to forget if I just limit myself to one type of zotero item.
This discussion has been closed.