Unable to Add Citations to Word

edited March 2, 2020
I want to preface this by saying that I am in somewhat of a tough situation, as my thesis is due this Friday (3/6), but Zotero has decided to stop working on me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

When I attempt to add citations (Chicago Manual of Style 17th ed., full note) to my Word document, I receive a notification stating that "Zotero experienced an error updating your document." I have gone through the debugging steps trying to figure out what is up, but there has been no fix. I am using Zotero version 5.0.84 for Mac and Word version 16.34.

From what I can tell, everything else appears to be working (i.e adding and editing bibliography, editing citations, etc.). I just cannot add citations into my document.
  • Unless the problem still happens when you completely empty out the document, the last step on Debugging Broken Documents will by definition fix or isolate the problem. You'll need to follow that in full.
  • I completely emptied out the document and still received the error when trying to add in a citation.
  • edited March 2, 2020
    Does it happen in a new document? If not, can you email the broken empty document to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?

Also, can you provide a Report ID after this occurs?
  • edited March 2, 2020
    Ah I seem to have figured it out; apparently Zotero finds issue with having my citation numbering restart with each section. I will just have it continue numbering continuously until I am fully complete.

This is odd though, as that setting is Word controlled rather than a Zotero setting; is there something I can do to prevent this from occurring?
  • If you can provide a sample document via email or provide steps to reproduce in a new document, along with a Report ID after triggering it, we can take a look.
  • @NmaiC No need to provide a document, I know what the issue is. We should display a better prompt for this and I've created a ticket. Renumbering citations causes problems with the citation processing logic code so it is unallowed.