Refresh caused display of code where citations should be

I accidentally clicked on "refresh" and Zotero displays "Unknown Field Code Changed" as a track-changes notification in the margin of my Word document where ever there is a citation. If I "accept" the change by clicking accept on the notification all is OK, but if I use MS Word's Accept/Accept next feature in Word's ribbon, a paragraph of deleted code and a paragraph of new code are displayed. If I then accept the deletion and added text (highlighted) code/text I'm left with the paragraph of code.
I'm using MS Word 2016 and DropBox, but the file is on my local hard drive.

How can I get rid of the code and revert to the citations?
  • I followed your instructions, but when I click on alt-F9, more of the citations turn into code. I can't click on "accept" 2x, but accept is grayed-out after the first time I click on it.
  • We can't help you with the track changes functionality in Word, other than to recommend that you turn it off before using the Zotero plugin and to accept all changes if you're seeing weirdness with existing citations.
  • Is there a way to convert the paragraphs of code back into the citation?
  • For normal Zotero citations, which are simply Word fields, the page I linked to explains how to toggle between the formatted citations and the Word field codes. The same would apply to, say, an inserted date field in a Word document.

If there are other problems in the document caused by Track Changes, I'm afraid that's something you'll need to figure out on your own. "Unknown Field Code Changed" is a message from Word, not from Zotero.
  • I understand that you aren't support for Word and will try to avoid questions that are about Word.

When I use alt F9 to toggle between the formatted citations and the codes, can I limit the toggling to a highlighted section or does it affect the entire document? I have tried this, but the results are confusing.

For those paragraphs of code that don't toggle back to formatted citations, would update field help?
  • Alt-F9 will toggle all the fields in the document. (It should be equivalent to going to the prefs and toggling "Show field codes instead of their values".) To toggle a specific field, use Shift-F9, or right-click on it and choose Toggle Field Codes.
    For those paragraphs of code that don't toggle back to formatted citations, would update field help?
    If they don't toggle back, you'll probably need to reinsert the citation.