Ris file importing issue

Hello,
I cannot import RIS files anymore into Zotero. It never was a problem before. Now I get a message that it cannot find a program to open it: (sorry it is in Dutch)

Safari kan het bestand 'WorldCat_1125007420.ris' niet openen, omdat er geen programma beschikbaar is om het te openen.

Is there anything I can do. I really need this.
  • Are you sure you have the Zotero extension for Safari installed?
    If so, this should work, but also, any reason you're not just importing using the Save to Zotero button?
  • edited February 22, 2020
    Hi Adam,
    I still really cannot save ris files or directly. Also not from firefox. It says there is a translators issue that should be soved. But I have all the extensions. And it alwys worked before. Also turned on and off my laptop etc. Any ideas?
    I have extension 4.0.28
    Thanks
  • What does it say when you try this in Firefox?
    What when you download the file and import it into Zotero?
  • @wverschuren: Where exactly are you seeing version 4.0.28 of something? I don't think that's the current version of any Zotero software. There's an ancient version of the Zotero Connector for Safari from 2015 that was a version 4.0.28, but that's certainly not something we support any longer.
  • Hi Adam,
    I see that in safari pref. extensions.
    Should I throw that out and install Zotero again. Will I loose anything then?

Also with firefox I get the notification hat there is no program that can open the file:
    Er is geen programma ingesteld om het document 'citationExport-omo-9781561592630-e-0000040693..ris' te openen.
    I use the newst firefoxx version.

I can import the page with the button but then I don't import all info.

I am writing my phd dissertation. That's why it is why I need to solve this.

Thanks
    Wouter
  • my zotero version is 5.0.82
  • Can it have to do something that I use Sierra?
  • OK, so that's a very old version of the Safari plugin that we can't support anymore and I wouldn't recommend using. But if you're using Safari on Sierra, you're also running a version of Safari that no longer receives security updates from Apple, making it unsafe to browse the web with. You should either upgrade macOS and use a newer version of Safari — in which case there's a test version of the Zotero Connector for Safari that can be used with Safari 13 — or switch to current versions of Firefox or Chrome, which are still supported on Sierra, and use the Zotero Connector there.

While you can open RIS files in Zotero to import data, and the Firefox and Chrome extensions will usually even offer to import it into Zotero automatically, as adamsmith says you would normally just use the Save to Zotero button to save to Zotero rather than handling RIS files manually. (The exception would be if you encounter Site Access Limits and want to do a bulk export from a site via RIS.)

I'd recommend reading through Adding Items to Zotero to make sure you understand how the normal ways to do this.