APA-style 7 with full names

edited February 18, 2020
I would need to use an APA-style 7 with full names for sharing bibliographies with students.
The reason: some family names are so common in Nordic countries that it would require some effort to find out which "H. Hansen" is behind an article.

In Denmark, many people have a double family name, fx Hans Xyyy Hansen.
Hansen is what counts in alphabetic order, so "Hans Xyyy" should be registered as first name. In a bibliography it would become
Hansen, Hans Xyyy

What should I change in the stile definition? Has someone already done this?

Thank you in advance for your help
FC
  • In terms of your students being able to find the cited sources, that’s the point of providing the DOI or URL. So, it probably isn’t necessary to modify the style at all to aid retrieval.

Otherwise, in the style file, find initialize-with=". " in various places and delete it. Then change the style title and ID at the top of the file, save, and install into Zotero.
  • In order to show the full first names you can just remove initialize-with=". " from lines 120 and 125 in the APA code.

General instructions to modify a style are here: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • Or, since you don't appear to care about following APA norms to the letter, you could just use a similar style that does use full first names, such as Chicago (author-date)
  • Thank you so much for your prompt answers.
    I'll change the two lines in the APA code plus the style title and ID.

I do use APA most of the time, but I do prefer to show full names when sharing bibliographies containing authors from Denmark (I suspect that full names would also help with names from China, Viet Nam and other countries).

@bwiernik - I do provide DOI and URL, my point is to make it easier for the student to go to a researcher's web page after reading a good article.

Thanks everybody!
  • edited February 18, 2020
    It works!
    E.g.
    Bull, Anna Cento, & Hansen, Hans Lauge. (2016). On agonistic memory. Memory Studies, 9(4), 390–404. https://doi.org/10.1177/1750698015615935

I have done a search & replace of
    initialize-with=". "
    (24 occurrences)

Would it make sense to remove the dot before the year? How?
    Would I risk messing things up?