ReportID:1789593629

My Word version is 16.34 and my Zotero version is 5.0.83-beta.12. When I attempt to add a citation to any of my doc file, it comes an error : "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?" . I tried lots of times but it still not work.
  • Go into Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors and reinstall the word plugin. Does it work well in a new document after that? What about in your existing documents?
  • I tried to reinstall the plugin, but still not work, and same problem appeared. Both new and existing documents have the problem. By the way, my system version is macOS 10.14.6. Thanks for your help!
  • Locate your Word startup folder, remove the Zotero.dotm file, and restart Word to make sure that the Zotero toolbar is completely gone. It's possible you're still stuck with an older version.

After you've made sure it's gone, try reinstalling the plugin again from the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences. If the toolbar doesn't reappear in Word, you may need to follow the manual installation instructions.
  • I followed steps you gave but doesn't work and always the same problem.
  • Can you say exactly what you did, including the file paths in question (you can x out your username) and how you determined what they are?
  • I delete the Zotero.dotm in ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word and the toolbar disappear. Then I reinstall the plugin by click Preferences -> cites-> word processor -> reinstall. But doesn't work. I also tried reinstall MS Word app, but still has the problem.
  • Do you now see the Zotero plugin in Word after reinstalling or did it not reappear at all?
  • Yes, it reappeared. But it doesn't work either.
  • Doesn't work as in you're still getting "Zotero experienced an error updating your document", or something else?

Can you provide another Report ID after getting the error?
  • The error is "Zotero experienced an error updating your document.Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?", and the report ID is 67924135
  • edited February 13, 2020
    And just to confirm, this happens trying to insert a single citation into a new, empty document?
  • Yes, but another existing document also has this error
  • Does the citation you are trying to insert contain accented symbols or diatrics in the authors or the title? Does it work in a new document with a citation the only has standard latin characters? Also, did the plugin work well for you initially? If so, are you aware what changes occurred in your system in between then that could have affected it?
  • No,the normal citation without accented symbols or diatrics can not be inserted either. As for citation only has standard latin characters also can not be inserted. Several days I downgraded my Macbook from Catalina. Zotero in Catalina 10.15.3 goes right. But when I finished downgrading and reinstall MS Word and Zotero, the errors appeared. By the way, different styles has different result. For example, some styles like IEEE can add citation, but can not add bibliography, and some like American Chemical society can not add both of them.
  • I assume you reinstalled MS Word right after the downgrade? Any specific reason for the downgrade? What kind of procedure did you follow for it? Could you create a new user account on the mac and see if you can insert citations with Zotero there?
  • I just reinstall macOS Mojave and MS Word and Zotero , and now everything goes right, no error appears now. I don't know why, but thanks a lot for your help!