Custom page-range-format

edited February 13, 2020
Hi all,

I'm just getting started, but have been able to find almost everything I need on the forums and in the documentation. One problem I can't seem to find a solution to is changing the rules of the page-range-format attribute.

Currently, applying the "minimal" rule changes, say, 125–126 to 125–6, which is wonderful, but it also changes 115–116 to 115–6. I'm assuming there are some styles that prefer this, otherwise it wouldn't be implemented, but in my experience the preference has always been to maintain the "1" in all groups ending in 10–19, so: 125–6 but 115–16. I'm surprised there isn't already a rule in the CSL spec taking this into account.

Is there a way to edit the rule or create a custom one? I'm looking to add a conditional that preserves the 1 if it is the second-to-last digit.

I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks for your time,

Carl
  • No, there's no way to customize this, sorry.
    When you say
    but in my experience the preference has always been to maintain the "1" in all groups ending in 10–19
    what is this based on? It's not what Vancouver style/Citing Medicine does, which is by far the most widely use family of styles with abbreviated page ranges, and it's not what the Chicago Manual (for which we have separate rules as you saw) does. In fact, as far as I'm aware, you're literally the first person to ever ask about this in the 10+ years of CSL
  • edited February 13, 2020
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm referring to traditional Oxford University Press style (outlined in Hart's Rules for Compositors and Readers [36th rev. edn; Oxford, 1967], 17, to be specific) which is used widely in the UK. Beyond that, it's always been a matter of personal preference, because you would read 'one-twenty-five to six' but 'one-fifteen to sixteen' (not 'one-fifteen to six').

It's blowing my mind that no one has asked this before… Thanks again for letting me know.