Moving the locators (using the Visual CSL Editor)

I have used the search function, but I have not been able to find a solution to this. I am trying to edit the "World Politics" style using the Visual CSL Editor. I want the citations to look like this:

Mares (2001: 244)

But I don't understand how to move the locators (the page number) inside the parantheses. I currently am only able to make it look like this:

Mares (2001): 244–52

Any help will be much appreciated!
  • Hi,

First a question: do you want to cite within the text or in the footnotes? World Politics is a note style and will generate footnotes.
    From the looks of it this could also be an author-date in-text citation with surpessed author, which means that the "Mares" would then be outside of the brackets. This can be done while you write in your document.
  • Hi! I want the references to be in the footnotes, yes!

Hm, I know how the suppressed author-thing works (in Microsoft Word), but I'm not sure if I understand your comment here? The problem is that I don't know how to move the numbers (244-52, in the example) inside the parentheses. I do not always want the author name to be suppressed.

If I am unclear, this is the end result I want to achieve:

Mares (2001: 244)
  • edited February 11, 2020
    In wanted to clear that up first before helping with editing a style that might not be the right fit first.

All you need to do is add a prefix and suffix in the first group that appears for your inline citations. For the Visual Editor click on "Inline Citations", then "Layout" and then on that first group that appears you can add the Prefix and Suffix on the right pane that opens up.

Or you can just replace the whole "citation part" in lines 395-405 with this:

<citation et-al-min="4" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true" disambiguate-add-givenname="true" givenname-disambiguation-rule="primary-name">
    <layout delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=": " prefix="(" suffix=")">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text macro="contributors-short"/>
    <text macro="date"/>
    </group>
    <text macro="point-locators"/>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </citation>

And then check your code with the validator: validator.citationstyles.org/

If something is not right and you can't figure out why then please copy all your code onto PasteBin or HasteBin and add the link here.
  • Many thanks - however, when I changed the code using your proposal, the citation ends up looking like this.

(Atkinson [2015]: 25)

Any possibility to make it look like:

Atkinson (2015: 25)

Here is the code: https://pastebin.com/78M7KWnU
  • Start by removing the parentheses around the year in row 304.

Then, the above code by damnation is not quite right for the desired result. You want:

<layout delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text macro="contributors-short"/>
    <group delimiter=": " prefix="(" suffix=")">
    <text macro="date"/>
    <text macro="point-locators"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </layout>

• Many, many thanks to both of you!

Cheers