Incorrect journal abbreviations from PDF metadata retrieval

This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask Zotero to retrieve more meta-data?.
  • I'm new to Zotero, and find that in nearly all cases PDF metadata is being retrieved which copies the full "Publication" field into the "Journal Abbr" field instead of actually finding the journal abbreviation. Or in some cases the abbreviation is found but with periods (e.g., Eur. Urol. rather than Eur Urol). I understand the reference citation plugin should fix this in Word, but I also like the journal abbreviation as part of the file naming scheme via ZotFile. So is there any way to fix this?

Thanks
  • If you provide links to specific PDFs, we can take a look.
  • FWIW, periods are the correct way to store journal abbreviations, so that's not a bug. There's nothing that makes Eur Urol more correct that Eur. Urol. and it's easier to strip away the periods than add them in citation styles. There wouldn't be a way to address this in Zotero, though it's possible that ZotFile can be configured to strip the periods using user-defined wild cards.

Putting the whole journal name into the abbreviation field is unfortunately not uncommon for journal publishers to do in their metadata. While, as dstillman says, we can take a look, I'm not optimistic.