can somebody transfer endnote style to zotero style (Springer)?

Hi, I don't use endnote. For sure zotero is more practiacl.

But I can't perform scripting the styles I need.

Can someone please make a Zotero style for my based on this endnote style. I need this for publication.

thx!

http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/EndNote_Literaturstyle_SpringerFachzeitschriftenMedizin.zip?SGWID=0-0-45-448398-0
  • edited July 8, 2009
    sorry, but I didn't understand this very well. I had read this page, but I don't know, what to to. I think, someone of you has the endnote programm, can import this style and see how it looks when inserting a bibliographie.

I didn't find a style that fits best.

can you support me with more help?
  • No, that's not a reasonable request.

For one thing, the owners of Endnote have already sued over Zotero's ability to use Endnote's styles (they claimed, incorrectly, that Zotero was distributing styles converted from Endnote styles), so it makes no sense to go through the legal risk of this sort of thing.

For another, even for those that have Endnote (I certainly don't), it's too much work.

If you're going to ask people to help you, you need to be willing to meet us at least half way. It's mildly insulting for you to just post here asking for this style without even doing the minimal work clearly laid out on the wiki.

Now, if English is not your first language and you're having problems understanding the directions, that's another issue. But I'd still suggest you follow the three steps (and in particular #2) outlined in the link above. This means finding the existing style closest to what you need on the repo, and then telling us exactly how your's differs.
  • OK. I thought, this would be very easy, sorry! Below you see how the citation has to look like. I looked before over the present styles but I didn't found best matching. Mixing both styles mentioned at the bottom could help.

[1, 2, 4] are magazines
    [3] is a book

Citation in the text: [1, 2] blabla [3]

1. Rhee YG, Ha JH, Cho NS (2006) Anterior shoulder stabilization in collision athletes: arthroscopic versus open Bankart repair. Am J Sports Med 34: 979–985
    2. Ko MC, Lee H, Song MS et al (2003) Activation of kappa-opioid receptors inhibits pruritus evoked by subcutaneous or intrathecal administration of morphine in monkeys. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 305:173–179
    3. Andrews LS, Snyder R (1980) Toxic effects of solvents and vapors. In: Doull J, Klaasen CD, Amdur MO (eds) Casarett and Doull’s toxicology: the basic science of poisons, 3rd edn. McMillan, New York, pp 654–655
    4. Twycross R, Greaves MW, Handwerker H et al (2003) Itch: scratching more than the surface. QJM 96:7–26

http://www.zotero.org/styles/acta-materialia/dev
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/ajhg/dev
  • while everything Bruce says is true you can also try to install the endnote style directly in Zotero, provided you work with version 2.06b.
    I'll put the instructions in German, assuming that is your native language:

Lade die Zip Datei auf Deine Festplatte und entpacke sie mit winzip oder einem vergleichbaren Programm. Du solltest jetzt eine Datei mit dem Namen "Springer Fachzeitschrift Medizin Psyscholgie.ens" sehen - merke Dir in welchem Ordner sie ist.

In Zotero gehe auf Preferences(Einstellungen) - Du findest sie wenn Du auf das Zahnrad oben in der Leiste klickst. In dem Fenster, das sich öffnet wählst Du oben "Styles" aus und siehst eine Liste mit allen installierten Styles. Unten rechts im Fenster ist ein + Zeichen - klick darauf und ein File-Browser Fenster öffnet sich.
    Irgendwo in diesem Fenster (wo genau hängt vom Betriebssystem ab) kannst Du auswählen welche Sorte Style Du installieren willst. Die Standard Einstellung ist "CSLStyle". Ändere dies zu "Endnote Style" und wähle die
    Springer Fachzeitschrift Medizin Psyscholgie.ens Datei aus.
    Nachdem Du OK drückst ist sie installiert und ab sofort mit dem Word Plugin verwenden.

Mitunter gibt es Probleme mit so installierten Styles, aber auf den ersten Blick sieht das gut aus. Wenn der Style so nicht funktioniert, musst Du eben doch auf dem von Bruce aufgezeigtem Weg nach dem Style fragen.
  • edited July 8, 2009
    My German is pretty bad, but it appears that the instructions to authors of the springer journals don;'t cover in too much detail their citation styles.

From the examples at the Springer web site it seems that the "Public Library of Science Journals" will fit best your needs. The only correction you may need do is to correct the minimum number of authors that trigers 'et al' abbreviation and the number of author names that precedes the 'et al'.

Currently the style sets them to 6 and 5 are:
    <bibliography>
    <option name="et-al-min" value="6"/>
    <option name="et-al-use-first" value="5"/>

While from the examples it seems they should be 3 and 3:

<bibliography>
    <option name="et-al-min" value="3"/>
    <option name="et-al-use-first" value="3"/>

You can either make a new style by correct this one as shown above or you can use it as is and when the manuscript is done go through the bibliography and correct it manually.

The other thing you need to do is to suppress the inclusion of the URL in the bibliography. This is the first setting in zotero preferences->Styles tab
  • Hi,

importing in endnote style works great, but not perfect (the newlines are double) thanks :D.

@pesho
    Before I tried to change some styles, saved it as test.csl and whilst importing I got an error message, if I really want to overwrite the XY style :(
    I didn't find the suppres button for the URL in my zotero preferences - styles tab. I have the newest beta! Provide me with more details please.
  • It's actually in the Export pane, though it should perhaps be moved now that there's a Styles pane.
  • Thanks Dan. My mistake. It is in the export pane.
  • Ela,
    I modified the style for you. You can get it from here:
    http://stoilov.bol.ucla.edu/FZM.csl
  • edited July 8, 2009
    Pesho, thanks very much!!. But can you pls remove the empty line between each entry?

This topic hasn't to be here, but maybe you know it?! I stretched the Zotero window up a little. But now it fills 50 % of my browser window and I only can stretch it up, but NOT down anymore...:( It occurs just right now :( Closing firefox had no effect
  • I entered the entry-spacing line

<bibliography>
    <option name="et-al-min" value="3"/>
    <option name="et-al-use-first" value="3"/>
    <option name="second-field-align" value="true"/>
    <option name="entry-spacing" value="0"/>
    <layout>
    <text variable="citation-number" suffix=". "/>

...but this doesn't fundtion after refreshing bibliography :( And I use OO.
  • edited July 8, 2009
    Ooh...! I forgot an important thing! The bibliography has to be sorted ALPHABETICALLY! Is this possible?
  • at the beginning of the bibliography section (after the option names, before layout) add the lines:
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="title"/>
    </sort>
  • Ela,

try downloading again the file from the same URL.

@Rintze and adamsmith, thank you for the pointers. I am not sure I fully understand what I am doing. I copied the sorting macro from the Chicago author-date style. So now the bibliography is sorted by name/date.

I also tried to sort the citation numbers in the citation field using:
    <sort>
    <key variable="citation-number"/>
    </sort>

But it doesn't seem to work. Instead of "[1,3,7-9]" I am geting "[3,1,9,7,1]".
  • edited July 8, 2009
    @adamsmith: you are great, thanks. It works perfect now!

you know prpbably why I cannot stretch the zotero window back to its bottom? Drag and pull only goes in one direction - up! and then a half way back.

apropos: I didn't downloaded the new cls file. should I do it now?

I go to bed now. I'm really tired. thank you guys for your patience and coding work. I will have a look tomorrow.
  • edited July 9, 2009
    But it doesn't seem to work. Instead of "[1,3,7-9]" I am geting "[3,1,9,7,1]".
    Zotero's CSL processor seems to forget to re-sort citation groups when you add additional citations to an existing group. Try inserting all the citations at once.
  • Thanks Rintze. That works.
    Just for the record, zotero doesn't re-sort the citations on update or when changing the style.

Should we call this a bug?