how to change the style in the middle of writing a paper?

Dear Forum,
I am new to use Zotero and felt it's so user friendly to use.
But, I found a problem in the middle of my writing.
I chose the Springer - Basic (note) style earlier, then my reference was shown as below

source 1 i
source 2 ii
source 1 iii
source 2 iv

I want to change to the Springer - Basic (numeric, brackets), so that I can get
source 1 [1]
source 2 [2]
source 1 [1]
source 2 [2]

I tried document preference to change it in word, it did not work.
Could anyone direct my how to change it to the format I want, the previous one was not right since it gave new number for previous used source? Do I need to delete all the citation in my previous version, then add them back in new different style?

thanks and best,
Jingjing Zhang,
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
  • That should just work with document preferences. What happened when you tried?
  • Earlier, it did not change in the context, but something changed at the end.
    Now, it always say 'Zotero experienced and error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?"

thanks and best,
    Jingjing Zhang
  • Can you provide a Report ID after this happens? After that, you should follow the troubleshooting instructions.
  • No report ID, just say
    Zotero experienced and error updating your document.
    Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?

If I click yes, it will go to Zotero website-- documentation--troubleshooting errors in word processor documentation, I don't see anything could help me there.
  • You can always provide a Report ID — follow my link.

And if it's working in a new document, following the debugging steps to the end will by definition isolate the problem. We can look at the Report ID first, though.
  • sorry, I came back for the same questions.
    Report ID is :145042250

[JavaScript Error: "An unhandled exception occured. [convertToNoteType:\vboxsvr\adomas\zotero\word-for-windows-integration\build\zoterowinwordintegration\field.cpp]"]

version => 5.0.81, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 6.1; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.81, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.21.SA.5.0.81, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.81, extension)

thanks and best,
    Jingjing
  • What version of Word is this?

@adomasven may have some ideas, but you should still try the Debugging Broken Documents steps to try to isolate the problem.
  • @dbjjzhang are citations inserted as endnotes? You can check this under the Zotero Document Properties. If you change that to footnotes first and then try to change the style does it work?
  • @adomasven Thanks a lot. It worked after I changed to footnotes.
    One more question, for the reference I stored as PDF, I only can manually input for the biblography list, right?
    thanks again!
  • What kind of .pdfs are they in terms of content? You can't cite them directly, but you could make them into items (say a Journal article if it's the pdf of a journal paper) by right clicking on them and selecting "Create parent item".
  • It still does not work.
    My biblograph list just showed .pdf, some of the format is not the same as others, some have website address which I don't need.

But, after I manually correct them, it went back to original one. Are there any other ways to correct the biblograph?

thanks,
    Jingjing
  • You are not giving a lot of information, I'm afraid. I also don't understand your last sentence. In order to give you better help, please clarify.

But if you generated parent items from those .pdfs they probably have bad metadata. So generally it's recommended to add items via the journal website/PubMed etc. or via the magic wand via it's DOI or ISBN etc.
  • thanks for the quick reply.

below is what I got
    9. Weiner DE (2004) Chronic Kidney Disease as a Risk Factor for Cardiovascular Disease and All-Cause Mortality: A Pooled Analysis of Community-Based Studies. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 15:1307–1315. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ASN.0000123691.46138.E2
    10. USRDS2001ecnomic.pdf

No.9: I want to delete the DOI, can I?
    No. 10: It's from USRDS publication, no author, I tried to put correct title, it does not stay. any other way to make the reference list work.

best,
    jingjing
  • 9. That depends on the citation style. Either edit that or choose a different one.
    10. As I said before, this is missing all the meta data, hence the output is missing it as well. What is this report? Where did you find it?
  • 9.I only want to remove https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ASN.0000123691.46138.E2. If I manually delete it, it does not save. it will change back.
    10. USRDS annual report. I downloaded PDF from their website. Can I manually edit this reference in the biblogrph, or should I manually input the information from the beginning?

thanks,
    Jingjing
  • 9. My answer is here. You are just ignoring it.
    10. Again, please answer my questions and be more specific.
    Enter the data as a report, with all the details (organisation, title, year, URL etc.). Then use that to cite it.