Word Processor Plugin: Searching for numbers only doesn't work anymore

Apparently there has been an update recently as the CSL I used suddenly didn't work anymore. I could, however, fix it but another issue seems to have arisen:

In Austria, supreme court decisions are usually cited with its case numbers which have a format such as 1 Ob 123/19a, whereby in this example, "1" is the number of the senate, "Ob" the abbreviation for supreme court decisions in civil matters, "123" the number of the case of the respective senate in the mentioned year (here: 2019), and "a" the check character.

Before the update, in the Word Processor Plugin, one could simply search for the number ("123"). However, this doesn't work anymore. Interestingly, in the mentioned example, searching for "19a" still works, however, the check character at the end was introduced in 1996 only, so older cases can't be found, one needs to go to the Classic View in order to find them, which is a bit annoying.

May I ask, if there has been an update recently and if anything was changed in the search algorithm of the Word Processor Plugin? If so, can this change be undone?

Thank you!
  • edited December 30, 2019
    I think you may be misremembering this. If I create a Case item with a Title of "1 Ob 123/19a", typing "123" in the citation dialog doesn't find it even in Zotero 5.0.60 from a year ago. (I didn't try older versions.)

That's arguably a bug — it may be mistaking the number for a locator such as a page number — and we can look into fixing it (issue created), but I don't think this would've worked anytime recently, if ever.
  • Thank you for your swift reply and checking this. I am almost certain that this worked but, to be honest, I would not bet my bottom dollar on this. Thank you for also creating an issue, that's very helpful! :)
  • We've added the ability to search by numbers alone in the latest Zotero beta, and the change will be included in Zotero 5.0.81 soon.
  • dstillman, wow! Thank you very much, works perfectly well, I stand amazed how quickly that was changed!

One thing that I noticed that might have changed: Previously you could super quickly add page numbers by writing eg "Smith57". The dropdown would appear, let you select "Smith, Book title" and when you pressed enter it would automatically add "57" as page. Now, when typing numbers after the name, the dropdown will not appear, just as if the word processor would not find an item.

I don't know if there is a middle between this page-adding feature and the ability to search only for numbers. I neither know how it worked before the update when you searched e.g. for "B72" (as in the title of a history book about the plane) -- when you selected the wanted book in the dropdown and pressed enter, did the word processor add "72" as a page or just add the book?
  • Also, another problem occured:

When I want to add another citation between two already existing citations, and, to this end, move the blinking cursor around with the cursor buttons, it will not open the dropdown when I write the first letters of the author or book title, but add the text to the page of the citation just before the blinking cursor. However, when I "move" the blinking cursor with a mouse click(!), then it will open the dropdown and let me add a new citation at the position of the blinking cursor...
  • One thing that I noticed that might have changed: Previously you could super quickly add page numbers by writing eg "Smith57".
    Smith p. 57 should still work.
  • Previously you could super quickly add page numbers by writing eg "Smith57". […] Now, when typing numbers after the name, the dropdown will not appear, just as if the word processor would not find an item.
    @tomstig: The inability to specify a page number before making a selection is a regression that's already been fixed in the beta for the next version (5.0.82). We may also be able to restore the ability to type just "57" instead of "p57" after making a selection.
  • @tomstig: In the latest beta we've fixed the cursor issue you reported, along with other improvements. Thanks for reporting.
  • @dstillman: sorry for my late reply, I thought I had properly set up getting email notifications from this forum but apparently I did not...

Wow, thank you for your quick and continued fixing, incredible! I just noticed that quickly adding page numbers (smith57) and using cursor buttons works again, and thus immediately had to return to this thread and express my delight and gratitude! Thanks!