Zotero cannot access your login information, possibly due to a corrupted Zotero logins database.

Report ID: 940396084

Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]
Zotero cannot access your login information, possibly due to a corrupted Zotero logins database.

Close Zotero, remove cert8.db, key3.db, and logins.json from your Zotero profile directory, and re-enter your Zotero login information in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Did you do what the error message suggests?
  • I am not sure what a cert8.db, key3.db, or logins.json are, so I do not know how to remove them. I have tried uninstalling zotero and the chrome extension and reinstalling them twice. How do I remove the cert8.db, key3.db?
  • Go to your profile directory: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/profile_directory

And delete those three files (if they are there)
  • Hello. I am getting the same message, see below. I also don't seem to be able to sync with the login details recently recreated, see below. I work on an organisational network and do not have administrative permissions on the computer. When I try to follow the directions in the link by bwiernik, nothing comes up on my computer. I have spoken with another person within my organisation and she is having the same issue. Could you please advise how I can overcome this problem? Thanks!

"Zotero cannot access your login information, possibly due to a corrupted Zotero logins database.... Close Zotero, remove cert8.db, key3.db, and logins.json from your Zotero profile directory, and re-enter your Zotero login information in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences."

"Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]"
  • When I try to follow the directions in the link by bwiernik, nothing comes up on my computer.
    I've added a note to that page that explains how to open AppData if it's hidden on your system.

Also, for the current version of Zotero, you should also delete cert9.db and key4.db in addition to the files given in the error message. I'll update the error message.