Connection problem between Zotero and Word

When I try to "Add/Edit Citation" in Word I get a popup that says "Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again". I have Zotero open and I can add documents to my Zotero library. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Zotero. I am using Chrome. I have a browser connector installed. I have tried re-installing the browser connector. Any idea how to fix this? I have placed the majority of the citations in my Word document without issue. I dont know what changed but now I cannot add additional citations. Thanks.

Computer: 2019 Macbook Pro
Software: macOS Catalina 10.15.2
Word Version: 16.32
  • Can you provide a Report ID?

What do you see in the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences?
  • I just submitted a new report- ID is 1964897676.

Under Cite there is one line with that says "Use classic Add Citation dialog" and a box next to it. That box is not checked. Thanks for your help.
  • Did you try restarting your computer? If you go into Tools -> Add-ons in Zotero do you see the Word addon? Is it enabled?
  • I have tried restarting my computer several times. Under Tools -> Add-ons I see "Zotero Word for Mac Integration" and next to it a button "Disable", which makes me think it is installed and enabled?
  • edited December 31, 2019
    Could you produce a startup Debug ID from Zotero?
  • I also have this problem. MS Word for Mac 16.16.17 / MacOS 10.15.2 / Zotero 5.0.80

I suspect it's the upgrade to Catalina and possible additional permissions needed under the Catalina environment. Submitted debug output - D1847992450

• Solved the problem. Everything was where it should be so the only option remaining was under Tools > Add-Ons to disable the Word plugin, restart Zotero and then enable it (again) and restart Zotero a second time. Citing etc then works. Something hadn't registered?