Zotero Citation Picker for Windows (should work with Word, Scrivener, Google doc etc.)

edited December 9, 2019
I made a simple windows Zotero citation picker with AutoHotkey.

It connects to the Better BibTex and ODT scan add-ons.

It's compiled into an exe and can be used as a standalone application. You can check the AHK source below and compile it yourself using AHK compilers.

Still beta-testing. Let me know if you encounter any errors.

Download and instructions:
https://github.com/boan-anbo/Zotero-Citation-Picker-for-Windows
  • Nice! I wrote a powershell script that does something similar, but this looks much slicker - like that you have it packaged neatly as an exe file, and the setup screen. My attempts to do the same wouldn't work as it kept on triggering the windows security alerts. Will try playing around it later to see how it works.
  • Hi there! You just reminded me to put on an acknowledgement to your work! It helped a lot while I was working out how to call curl since the Zotero update. Thank you! Hope this app works on your end as well.
  • You are very welcome:) Now that the infinite loop is fixed, it seems good - much quicker than my version, and you seem to have resolved the issue of activating the picker and bringing to the front without also bringing the zotero window to the front which I have.

My only comment is I'm not sure the option to enter pages is actually necessary - the picker will enter pages if you type ":pagenumber" after the citation. Obviously you can turn this option off, so it doesn't really matter, but it feels a bit redundant.
  • I would say to leave it in to enable the option to enter other types locations (like Chapter, etc.)
  • As AmomentOfMusic said, you seem to have resolved the issue of activating the picker and bringing to the front without also bringing the zotero window to the front. Could you explain your trick?

Indeed, I created a macro script for the TeXstudio editor (LaTeX IDE), the code of which being:

%SCRIPT
    var url = 'http://127.0.0.1:23119/better-bibtex/cayw??format=biblatex&command=autocite&texstudio=true&minimize=true';
    system('curl -s ' + url);

It works pretty well on Linux but not so well on Windows, the Zotero Citation Picker being desperately not brought to front: it is at the bottom of the stacked windows (so can be reached with Alt+Shift+Tab shortcut but that's much less handy than if it would be brought to front).

Thanks!