Bibliography stopped working on Mac after latest update

After the auto-update to Zotero 5.0.80 for Mac that occurred on Dec 5th or 6th, my bibliography is no longer updating with changes to citations made in my word document (version 16 2019). The bibliography is working for NEW documents that I create. However, my previous documents are no longer working, even if copied into a new file.

I thought my file may have bee corrupted. However, prior drafts of my dissertation I had locally saved that were working fine are also no updating the bibliography. Since new documents are working, a potential bug in the recent release my have escaped regression testing (that probably creates new doc each time).

I have tested by the following
1. Create a new Word doc on Mac
2. insert a Zotero citation
3. Copy and paste this citation to a new document.
4. Add a bibliography to the new document.
This shows that citations in new documents update the bibliography, even when copied from another doc.

However
1. copy a citation from a prior document that was created using a previous version of Zotero
2. paste the citation into a new document
3. attempt to add a bibliography.
Word will say no citations are present. Also, editing the pasted citation does not work in the new docuemnt. New documents no longer recognize prior citations since the latest update, and the bibliography in the prior documents no longer update.

My report ID does not contain any information about this issue since no error is returned by the application. This issue is not related to importing citations from the web, so I did not include any report error from the Zotero chrome plug-in.
  • We haven't seen any other reports of this and while 5.0.77-->5.0.80 was a major update, it didn't really touch on Word integration, so it's very unlikely it caused this. What you report simply sounds like citations are no longer linked in an old document.
    In the old document, show field codes in Word (opt+F9 or opt+FN+F9) and see if you get a lengthy code string for Zotero citations. If you do not, the Zotero citation information is no longer present and we can try to figure out why that happened, but that would definitely not be related to the update.
  • More info if the fields are no longer active: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/existing_citations_not_detected

As adamsmith says, there's almost no chance this was related to the update.
  • Thanks for responding so quickly. I verified the citations are linked using opt+FN+F9 and see the code. I can also still edit the citations using the Zotero plug-in. The main issue is additions and subtractions no longer update the bibliography.

Fortunately, copying the entire contents into a new document and creating a new bibliography fixed the problem. That did not work when I tried before, but I discovered I made a mistake when copying last time.

I'm still not sure why the bibliography stopped updating in the original documents. But if I am the only one, we can drop it.