Report ID 1130983281: tagging zotero items shoots up memory consumption and freezes system

After upgrading to Zotero 5.0.78, I find that attempting to tag an item shoots up Zotero memory consumption so much that the entire system becomes almost completely inoperable (almost-complete system freeze) until I end the Zotero process in System Monitor. I use Ubuntu 19.10 and have 3.7 GB memory and 6.5 swap. Zotero normally consumes between 490 and 510 MB of memory but its consumption progressively escalates to as much as between 2.8 and 3.GB as soon as I enter the first character to tag an item. This problem only started today after I upgraded to the latest version of Zotero (5.0.78); it was not there in any previous version. I have restarted Zotero and my system numerous times in the hope that this would resolve the problem but it has persisted.

I have generated and sent a report (ID 1130983281), but the report documents no errors. I have also sent a Debug Report (Debug ID: D465425829).

Is there anything I can do to resolve this problem? If not, can I downgrade to the previous Zotero version without having to re-do my settings and re-install my add-ons?

I thank all of you at Zotero and the community members for providing and maintaining such a fantastically useful research tool. Keep up the great work!
This discussion has been closed.