Zotero Bookmarklet

There are a few other places in this forum where a Zotero bookmarklet has been proposed. This is a central location for updates on this subject.
  • edited July 2, 2009
    My understanding from other posts is that a Zotero bookmarklet has been considered, but there are as yet no firm plans for development and release. Is that accurate?

I add my support for the bookmarklet feature as a way to make Zotero usable from multiple browsers and platforms. I now read a significant % of my email on my iPhone and would like to be able to easily add to my Zotero library when a colleague points me to an article or book via a link in email. In my case, that means Email > Safari > Bookmark to Zotero Library.

It would be fine with me if the bookmarklet captures only limited information for the citation. Primarily I want to be able to add it to my library for later exploration. A future upgrade might include server-side collection of meta data when the bookmarklet is used.

Great job on Zotero and kudos on your work to support collaborative research with Zotero online libraries.
  • Along similar lines, an email-to-zotero gateway would be nice.
  • I second the request for a iphone compatible bookmarklet, even if there where limitations on how much info could be captured and from where.

I mostly use Amazon and Google Scholar to find zotero complient info for my bibliographies, this is simpler than hand typing from paper library books and articles, if a bookmarklet could just get the auther, date and title, then I could fill in the rest later on the pc.

please?
  • I too would love a Zotero bookmarklet for use in public computers. (Even my office computer won't let me install software.) But until that happens, here is a simple (but possibly too trivial) workaround I came up with using the bookmarklet for Google bookmarks. The workflow is as follows.
    1. Go to the Google bookmarks site (www.google.com/bookmarks/) and login if needed. Get the bookmarklet from the bottom of the page. (Drag to the link bar.)

2. Browse the web and click on the bookmarklet when you find a page you want to save to Zotero for later.

3. Optional: In the popup, add a "zotero" label to make the bookmark easier to find later.

4. Optional: In the popup, add notes if desired. (You can add more notes later, by clicking on the bookmarklet again from the same page.)

5. Later, when at a computer with Zotero, go through your Google bookmarks (labeled "zotero") and manually add those pages to Zotero. Any notes you made can be manually copied and pasted into Zotero as well.

6. Then just delete the bookmark (or remove the "zotero" label).
    Obviously, the last two steps are more work than a native Zotero bookmarklet would be, but I think this workaround is still better than emailing myself links, which is what I did before.