Web library beta

The new layout is awesome, even much better than the desktop version. Any plans to bring the new layout to the desktop version as well?
  • Dear developers,

This Beta Version of the Web Library is a real improvement. However, the only way I found to edit an item online (and for instance add an attachment), is to switch back to the old version. Will that be added?

And, perhaps even more crucially: can I search and add metadata to a pdf I added as a standalone item?

This latter option would (finally) make it possible to use Zotero on the computers of my University Library, where I go to to download articles lamentably not 'free from publisher'....

Keep up the good work!

Valentijn
  • 1. You can edit item information in the right-hand pane: metadata in the "Info" tab, upload attachments in the Attachments tab.

2. You can't run retrieve metadata, no, but you can a) store files (+ upload file) there and then sync them and retrieve metadata at home on your computer b) use the bookmarklet to import item & attachment on any public computer and c) Create a parent item using add by identifier (i.e. typically the DOI) and then attach the PDF to that.
  • This Beta Version of the Web Library is a real improvement. However, the only way I found to edit an item online (and for instance add an attachment), is to switch back to the old version. Will that be added?
    You should certainly be able to edit. Are you seeing this in My Library, or in a group library you just don't have write access to?
    can I search and add metadata to a pdf I added as a standalone item?
    No, sorry, "Retrieve Metadata for PDF" isn't currently available online, though you can now use "Add Item by Identifier" and then drag the PDF on top of the newly created item.
  • New Beta looks great and the very basic stuff seems to work.

I'd love to have the option to work on notes like in the desktop version (with smaller typefaces and in a separate window).
  • I've just had a look a the new web library beta and really like the direction it is going. It looks good in Firefox on both desktop and mobile.

One small point - in the current Web Library, I can see that an item has attachments (although I cannot access them as the stored files are in pCloud via WebDav and the 'Link to file' attachments are in OneDrive - annoying but I understand why).

In the Beta, on mobile, the attachments are not showing up at all.

They are showing in Firefox on the desktop.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks,
    Richard

• edited November 9, 2019
    Attachments should definitely appear in the new web-library beta, however if your attachments are not synced, file names will appear grayed-out.

If you're on a desktop, attachments appear under the "Attachments" tab on the right-hand side of the screen. On mobile there is an "Attachments" header towards the bottom of the interface - you probably need to scroll down to see it.

Could you please check if you can see them, as described above, either on a computer or a mobile?

• Hi @tnajdek

My attachments are not synced to Zotero storage, but to pCloud (Webdav) and OneDrive, so I am used to them not being available via the web interface.

Yes, when using the new web-library beta on desktop I see the attachments in the right-hand panel under the 'Attachments' tab, greyed out.

On mobile (Android 10, Firefox browser) I see the 'Attachments' section at the bottom of the record but no attachments are shown - it is blank. This is where there seems to be a bug.

The other thing to note is that with the old web library interface it is possible to get some very basic information about the attachments via a link, but this is not available in the new interface.

Thanks,
    Richard
  • Thank you for a detailed description, I was indeed able to reproduce it on a mobile device and have created a new issue (https://github.com/zotero/web-library/issues/312) to track this problem. We should be able to fix this problem soon.
    The other thing to note is that with the old web library interface it is possible to get some very basic information about the attachments via a link, but this is not available in the new interface.
    This is a known limitations and something we're working on. It's also tracked on Github issues: https://github.com/zotero/web-library/issues/298.
  • Thanks for the fast response @tnajdek !

Will it ever be possible to retrieve Webdav attachments via the web-library interface? I'd love the ease and simplicity of using Zotero storage but I'm just over the 6GB and $120/yr is much more than Webdav costs...

Thanks again
    Richard
  • Very unlikely that you'll get attachments from WebDAV online -- that'd require handling the authentication with your WebDAV from the online library and that's not part of the webDAV protocol
  • I thought that would be the case, which means it would be even more helpful if Zotero could reduce the charge for > 6GB. Given the plethora of cloud storage providers I am surprised that Zotero isn't able to bring the price down.

It looks like the new web library interface could be the only client I will need on desktop and mobile and it would be great to centralize storage there as well.