Classical Sources

By chance, is there any way to cite ancient sources. For example, I need to use Hérodotus and Thucydides, and I would like to cite the passage (instead of the page) in the book as well as mentioning the translator.

Thank you!
  • What style are you using? Just citing a book and specifying the translator in the item data will generally work. To cite a passage, try the other options in the Page dropdown menu in the Citation dialog or enter them in the Suffix field instead.
  • Actually, I am not trying to cite an ordinary book. Classical scholars have a special way of citing ancient works, a bit similar to the one used for the bible. And after some researches, it finally seems that Zotero is not yet able to do that. I hope this will help those who may have the same questions.

En fait, je n'essaie pas de citer un livre ordinaire. Les historiens classiques ont une façon particulière de citer les ouvrages anciens, un peu semblable à celle utilisée pour la bible. Et après quelques recherches, il semble finalement que Zotero n'est pas encore capable de le faire. J'espère que cela aidera ceux qui pourraient avoir les mêmes questions.

Tatsächlich versuche ich nicht, aus einem gewöhnlichen Buch zu zitieren. Klassische Historiker haben eine besondere Art, alte Werke zu zitieren, ein wenig ähnlich wie in der Bibel. Und nach einigen Recherchen scheint es schließlich, dass Zotero noch nicht in der Lage ist, dies zu tun. Ich hoffe, dass dies denen helfen wird, die vielleicht die gleichen Fragen haben.
  • A classics item type is on the list of features for the future (no eta though) -- there's currently no reasonable way of doing this in Zotero. I believe most people just manually cite such sources.