Change Style Preference in GoogleDoc

Hello –– I have created a GoogleDoc file with several dozen citations (Chicago Author-Date) using the GoogleDoc Zotero Add-On. I just learned that the journal we're submitting to requires Endnotes. I was able to change the preferences in GoogleDoc to Chicago Full Note; but Google Doc placed these as Footnotes and having scoured the internet, it seems that GoogleDoc does not provide Endnote functionality.

So, I figured I'll just download the GoogleDoc as an MSWord file, and then change the formatting in MSWord. But I've now tried several times to change the formatting preferences in the downloaded MSWord file, and nothing happens, even though the Zotero citations are still live links.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
-Theo
  • Thanks – but I'm still encountering problems.

First, I followed the directions at the hyperlink on a version of the GoogleDoc where I had already changed the formatting from Chicago Author Date to Chicago Full Note, and GoogleDoc converted this to footnotes instead of endnotes (I need endnotes). But when I downloaded the Googledoc – first converted using the "switch word processor"– to MSWord and then opened the document in MSWord, all of the footnote citations are nothing but unintelligible code.

So, I went back to the original GoogleDoc, and followed the directions at the hyperlink. But now, the copied GoogleDoc has no Zotero Add-On button showing in the menu. This is very odd, as the Zotero Add On button IS showing in the original GoogleDoc Firefox window.

So, in the copied GoogleDoc menu I clicked the Add-Ons dropdown menu, clicked Get Add-On, and searched for Zotero, but then I get a message saying "We couldn't find anything for your search."

As a final workaround, I tried switching to GoogleChrome but the same thing happened.

Why is the Zotero add-on button disappearing when making a copy of a GoogleDoc?

And why am I unable to re-add the Zotero add-on?

And finally, what do you recommend now?

• edited October 19, 2019
    But when I downloaded the Googledoc – first converted using the "switch word processor"– to MSWord and then opened the document in MSWord, all of the footnote citations are nothing but unintelligible code.
    As it says at the top of the file (and in the linked instructions), you need to click Refresh to convert the citations in the transfer document back to active citations.
  • Aaargh. Ok. Sorry I missed that. The refresh function did indeed work on the downloaded MSWord doc.

But that was only a test case. In other words, my co-author and I are still working on the original document in GoogleDocs, and now when I save a copy of this document the Zotero Add-On is no longer visible/accessible. So, I am unable to repeat the rest of the process.
  • If you restart your browser, does it reappear?
  • Excellent! That resolved the problem! Thanks so much for your assistance. :-)