Change arXiv imports to use 'manuscript' instead of 'journal' type

I'm in computational linguistics and download a lot of preprints from arXiv. However, these always get labelled as "Journal Articles" during import. Is there a trick to getting them appropriately labelled as 'manuscripts'?

(Tips for bulk edits if I can't change the default import behavior and there's no desire on the part of the dev team to change it would also be accepted.)

Thanks!
  • Journal Article is what will produce the correct citations to the papers. I suggest you leave them as Journal Article.

Alternatively, I recommend Document, which some styles support as for preprints from ArXiV or other servers. But this isn’t widely supported by styles yet.
  • But they are not Journal Articles, and if they become Journal Articles than we should cite the published version unless there is a substantial difference between the two which is relevant to our citation, no?

I'm not a fan of having to adjust the accuracy of my library in order to achieve styling goals.

I've looked into the javascript documentation a little bit, but it's not clear to me how to, e.g., bulk edit document types or add the same journal/proceedings name to more than one document at a time. Can you recommend any good tutorials?

Thanks for your help, bwiernik :)