Deleted Collection - Can I restore it from Online Library?

Hi, I know this has already been discussed, but I didn't find an answer to my problem yet. (Sorry, if I got something wrong)

Classic mistake: I accidentally deleted a huge collection (namely: my dissertation) and would love to get it back. Following the steps "Restoring From the Last Automatic Backup" did not work. I assume because I first closed Zotero to stop it from syncing and that was a mistake.

Since my collection still seems to be online visible, I'd like to ask if there is a way I can download the online version of my library? I couldn't find any steps for that, only the other way round. I have auto sync disabled now.
  • Did you try multiple automatic backups? There are two by default, and you can tell from the file modification time when it was created.

If the collection still exists online, you can select all items and add them to another temporary collection, so that even once the deletion syncs up, the new collection will still exist with the item. But you'd have to do it page by page, so it would be much easier to do it in Zotero itself using a backup.

Note that any recent backup of zotero.sqlite that still has the collection will work, and you won't lose more recent data. For a deleted collection, you just need to add the items to another collection and sync, and it will then simply pull down more recent changes.