Urgent! Problem converting from LibreOffice to Word

I have to submit my PhD thesis tomorrow, and now I am having an issue with references. I know, I know, leaving this until the last minute and everything...

I have been writing in Scrivener which is my preferred writing software, using scannable cite tags and then using libreoffice to convert these whenever I have needed to produce readable bits of the thesis. But I have been advised to do the final editing in word for various reasons, but I cannot get the conversion from libreoffice to word to work.

I think I have followed the instructions here exactly: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/moving_documents_between_word_processors

I have tried both methods. Firstly, saving in bookmarks and then simply opening the file in word. Secondly, going through the conversion procedure. In the second case, however, I could only get the "Switch to a different word processor" button to appear if I first converted the references to bookmarks, which wasn't mentioned in those instructions...

But in both cases, when I open the .docx file in word, the citations just appear as text, and pressing refresh just brings up the message: "You must insert a citation before performing this operation."

I have searched for help but can't find anything. I'm getting a bit desperate as I'm rapidly running out of time to do my final alterations. If anyone has any advice that would be very much appreciated.

MacOS 10.14.6
Word 16.29.1
LibreOffice 6.2.4.2
Zotero 5.0.74
  • You need to select a citation style in LibreOffice and update the references there before moving the document to Word, did you do that?
    (also, why do you need Word? Can you not submit in PDF from LibreOffice?).
  • Thanks adamsmith, maybe that was the problem as I have managed to get it to work now.

Using word because I am getting help on final formatting from someone who knows word well but not libreoffice.

My thesis is mainly on Adam Smith – how appropriate that you come to my aid at the final moment!

Thanks again...
  • Please consider doing the final formatting of your theses on a _copy_ of your document and _after_ you have saved a copy of your working document with Zotero codes intact.
  • Yes will do. Thanks!
  • Hi,

Thanks for this thread - was super helpful and thought I would add to it just in case someone else needs it. I have had the same problem a few times switching from scrivener -> libre office -> word. I need to use word so my supervisors can comment on my work but scrivener is just too good not to use.

I think the instructions for moving between libre office and word aren't intended for those switching from scrivener which is fair. In hindisight it would make perfect sense that one would first need to get the citations working in libre office before moving them to word. Thankfully I found this thread.

I tried changing the citation style in libre office as adamsmith recommends but this resulted in every citation becoming "citation", effectively loosing them. Following that line of thought, a simple refresh while in libre office worked before beginning the process to switch to word.