Tag selector disappeared

This discussion was created from comments split from: Lost tag selector.
  • Same here. Simply disappeared

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C6Ez6cMunrsAdM4TVoh387I7zCRtzpoi/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QodsRZwoazydTRQSamqjd8496A9uq48D/view?usp=sharing

Zotero is not full screen, so it's not falling off the screen or something.

Strangely when I hoover with mouse over it I do get an up-and-down arrow at the bottom of the missing Tag Selector, which is NOT able the resize the screen. And the same up-and-down arrow below the central pane does resize the screen..
  • 1) Try restarting Zotero, if you haven't.

2) If that didn't help, try pressing the shortcut key to hide/show the tag selector — Ctrl-Shift-T on Windows.

3) If you still can't get it back, go to the Advanced pane of the preferences, click on Config Editor, search for "pane.persist", right-click on extensions.zotero.pane.persist, select Copy Value, and email that to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread. This will let us try to figure out what happened.

4) Close Zotero, go to your Zotero profile directory, open prefs.js in a text editor (e.g., Notepad), and delete the line containing extensions.zotero.pane.persist. Re-save the file and start Zotero again and this will hopefully be fixed.
  • Tnx! Ctrl-Shift-T did the trick. Is prob. what happened in the first place. I use shortcuts a lot, so I guess I've hit that combination by accident
  • Good evening,

The tag selector disappeared. I tried 1) to restart Zotero 2) press the command ctrl+shift+T, but the selector keeps disappearing one second after the openning of the Library.
    On the online version, no problem.
    What should I do ?
  • "zotero-tags-splitter":{"state":"dragging"},"zotero-tag-selector-container":{"height":"100","collapsed":"true"}
    @Benassis: Are you saying that Ctrl-Shift-T (or Cmd-Shift-T on a Mac) doesn't cause the tag selector to reappear? Do you see a small bar along the bottom edge of the left-hand pane that you can click or try to drag?
  • Exactly. No small bar appears in that case.
    I tried to reduce the window and slip down the white area of the tag selector, which produced the small bar. But as I clicked on it, the white area reappeared still without any other sign. (No search bar no colour selection, no tags)
  • Did you try this?
    4) Close Zotero, go to your Zotero profile directory, open prefs.js in a text editor (e.g., Notepad), and delete the line containing extensions.zotero.pane.persist. Re-save the file and start Zotero again and this will hopefully be fixed.
  • I don't know how to do it. I didn't see the "prefs.js" in the Zotero profile directory".
  • If you don't see a prefs.js file, you're not looking at the Zotero profile directory. Follow the link for instructions on how to find it.
  • Ok. I found it (in fact it was in "zotero.js"), but I can't delete it : it says that I need an authorisation for that.
  • More precisely, i can't save it.
  • edited September 19, 2019
    No, you’re looking at the wrong file, in the program (not profile) folder, and it’s protected for a reason. The file is prefs.js, and it is absolutely where I say it is. Don’t try to change other files.
  • Ok. I managed to do it, but it changes unfortunately nothing.
    Can I try something else ?
  • Are you sure you did it with Zotero closed? Successfully deleting that line should reset various things in the Zotero interface back to their default sizes. Did that happen?
  • Yes, Zotero was closed and I saw the reseting in the interface, but just after, the tag selector disappeared again.
  • I sent the error report (ID 907681433)
  • edited September 26, 2019
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: tagColors.get(...) is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/containers/tagSelector.js" line: 593}]
    Ah, OK — that's what we needed.

This should now be fixed in the latest Zotero Beta, and the fix will be included in Zotero 5.0.75. Thanks for reporting.
  • Thanks for helping, it is fixed.
  • This is fixed in Zotero 5.0.75, available now.
  • FYI I just had the same problem with 6.0.8, but I was able to fix it following dstillman's instructions for editing prefs.js. Thanks @dstillman
  • @ansoncall: That's obviously not supposed to be necessary, though, so if you're experiencing this, we'd want a Report ID for it.
  • @dstillman I'm not sure I can reproduce the error, as the tag selector seems to be working normally now that I've restarted Zotero. There was one error report that seems to be unrelated, but I submitted it anyway in case it is helpful. Report ID: 224237054