Cannot edit existing citations inserted in Google Docs

Zotero integration via the plugin for Google Docs still seems to be quite buggy. When editing an existing in-text citation, I get either the dreaded error "Zotero fields cannot be inserted here", or, after restarting Chrome&Zotero, an empty list in the Quick Format Citation window that opens.

If in this window, I add a citation and hit enter, only this new citation is added while the existing ones disappear; if on the other hand I hit escape, the citations that were there before still disappear, and I have to press Ctrl+Z to get them back, albeit in a plaintext format (no Zotero field).

Using Chrome v76 and Zotero SA 5.0.74.
  • This bug has been fixed in the Zotero Connector version 5.0.60, available now.
  • Thanks! I thought Chrome updates all of its plugins (including ZC) automatically. I tried updating ZC manually, but saw no option for this. In case 5.0.60 was released in the past 48h or so, then I should see the bug already fixed next time I need to use Zotero in GDocs.
  • edited September 20, 2019
    It does update them automatically, but if you're ever in doubt you can click the Update button from Chrome's Extensions page, which also lists the current version next to each extension.
  • I do have 5.0.60, but have this same issue "an empty list in the Quick Format Citation window that opens. If in this window, I add a citation and hit enter, only this new citation is added while the existing ones disappear; if on the other hand I hit escape, the citations that were there before still disappear, and I have to press Ctrl+Z to get them back, albeit in a plaintext format (no Zotero field)."

Have others found the the update really did resolve this issue?
  • In general if you see this happening it means that your existing citations are unlinked (e.g. if you refresh your document) you will see that the "Edit with Zotero" links will disappear. This most likely would have happened when copying text with citations without the Zotero plugin or in certain edge cases that will be fixed in 5.0.61 version of connector to be released soon. There is nothing you can do if you see that happening and will have to reinsert the citations manually.
  • Zotero Connector 5.0.61 is available now.