Accessing the same Zotero folder from two Zotero installations?

I have a dual boot system, Windows and Linux. Is it safe to use the same Zotero folder for both of them (on an NTFS drive)? Of course the Zotero folder won't be accessed by the two installation at the same time (as only one OS can run at one time), but I am worried that if Zotero keeps some state information at other places than the Zotero database folder, then the database might get corrupted if accessed by more than one program ...
  • I've been doing this for a while, with no problem.

Regards,
    Jon.
  • Thanks for the reassurance, Jon
  • However, before I actually do this, may I ask which version of Zotero you use (1 or 2), and how upgrades that also need to "upgrade" the database (perhaps this means changing its format?) were handled?

If one Zotero install is upgraded and also upgrades the database, isn't the other one going to corrupt the database before I get a chance to upgrade it as well?
  • The other will fail to start until you upgrade.
  • I'm using 2 - in fact I've been running the dev version which as the warnings put it, "Using a trunk XPI with important data is strongly discouraged." but so far (fingers crossed and regular backups) I've had no problems.

Regards, Jon.
  • Having said it was fine ... I'm getting a repeat of an old problem / irritation: I've just rebooted into Windows instead of Ubuntu for the first time in a few weeks, updated Zotero, updated Firefox and now Zotero wants to upload some 200 odd files - all but a couple of which (if any) will already be on my webdav server. Like I said this is just a (bandwidth) irritation, not a major problem (though if I were on a /mb paying service it wouldn't be great). So, Szabolcs, have you noticed this kind of behaviour? Dan, can you suggest anything?

Regards,
    Jon.
  • Jon, I have not yet had any problems with this setup. However, I did not add many things to Zotero during the past weeks (only used it for reading), and I mostly used it on Windows. Also, I only sync with Zotero's service (manually), and have not set up syncing on Linux at all.

If I notice any problems, I'll post here.