Style request: Journal of international Peacekeeping

edited August 23, 2019
I am in the process of writing an article for the Journal of International Peacekeeping (Publisher: Brill). Could I please call on the help of a professional in the field to develop a new style which meets Brill's requirements? This would save me from manually adapting all the footnotes.

* Online style documentation: https://brill.com/fileasset/downloads_products/Author_Instructions/JOUP.pdf

* ISSN: 1875-4112

* Overall instruction: All references should be spelt out in full at first mention; subsequent mentions of the citation should be abbreviated to Surname, ‘Chapter Title’ (or Book Title), date (only if necessary for clarification). The titles of books and journals should always be italicized and for English-language publications, the titles should be set in initial caps (All Main Words Should Start with a Capital).

* Examples:

In-text citation:

First citation: John L. Campbell and Ove K. Pedersen, ‘The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success’, Comparative Political Studies, vol. 40, no. 3, 2007, pp. 307-332. https://doi.org/10.1177/0010414006286542. [Comment: name of the journal should be in italics]

Thereafter: Campbell and Pedersen, ‘The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success’, p. [reference].

First citation: Isabela Mares, ‘Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How does Social Policy Matter to Employers?’ in Peter A. Hall and David Soskice (eds.), Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage (New York: Oxford University Press, 2001), pp. 184-213. [Comment: name of the book should be in italics]

Thereafter: Mares, ‘Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How does Social Policy Matter to Employers?’, p. [reference].

Bibliography: no information about this in style guide.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Hanna
  • @damnation: many thanks for sharing the instructions. I revised my request accordingly. Please let me know if this is sufficient.
  • Great, that all works.
    As I don't have access to the journal and you didn´t provide a link to a freely-available publication can you either upload a .pdf somewhere or at least double check for me that the articles do not have a bibliography and also that the style guide matches exactly the actual publications?
  • edited August 27, 2019
    For other sources, the following examples can be used:

Case law:

Court, Case name in italics, date decided [day, month, year], docket number, reporter, reporter volume, first page, p./pp./para.

Reports:

Author, title in italics, report number, date [day, month, year], p./pp./para.

Many thanks in advance!
  • @HannaKUL
    Normally I don't do note styles, as they're too labour intensive and complicated for me, but you were lucky.
    Can you test this out? Right click, save as and install in Zotero (doubleclick): https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/4f95950afa5c5789ffc2dccccfb1449e415a0222/journal-of-international-peacekeeping.csl

There will be small issues still that will pop up with testing, so let me know and I'll make the changes.
  • @damnation

Many thanks - this is really greatly appreciated. I went through the citations and have the following comments:

General comment for all entries:

If the same sources is cited in subsequent footnotes, “ibid in italics” can be used instead if the surname and the page number. If the same sources is cited, but with a reference to a different page, it should be cited as “ibid in italics, p., pp., para., paras.”.

Specific comments:

1) Book

Comments: (i) the edition should be within the brackets after the year; (ii) there should be no comma after the title of the book; (iii) when a book is cited more than once, the citation should include specifically “p, pp., para., paras.” (not just the number).

Example:

First citation: Marc Weller, Alexia Solomou, and Jake William Rylatt (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of the Use of Force in International Law (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015, 1st edn.), p. 376. [The title of the book is in italics]

Thereafter: Weller, Solomou, and William Rylatt (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of the Use of Force in International Law, p. 376. [The title of the book is in italics]

2) Chapter in edited volume

Comment: (i) the edition should be within the brackets after the year; (ii) there should be no comma after the title of the book; (iii) when a book chapter is cited more than once, the citation should include specifically “p, pp., para., paras.” (not just the number).

Example:

First citation: Haidi Willmot and Ralph Mamiya, ‘Mandated to Protect: Security Council Practice on the Protection of Civilians’ in Marc Weller, Alexia Solomou, and Jake William Rylatt (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of the Use of Force in International Law (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015, 1st edn.), p. 376. [The title of the book is in italics]

Thereafter: Willmot and Mamiya, ‘Mandated to Protect: Security Council Practice on the Protection of Civilians’, p. 376.

3) Journal article:

Comments: (i) there is currently no comma between the issue number and the date; (ii) the DOI is now added in the end after a comma, but this should be after a dot; (iii) when a journal is cited more than once, the citation should include specifically “p, pp., para., paras.” (not just the number).

Example:

First citation: John L. Campbell and Ove K. Pedersen, ‘The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success’, Comparative Political Studies, vol. 40, no. 3, 2007, pp. 307-332. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0010414006286542.

Thereafter: Campbell and Pedersen, ‘The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success’, p. [reference].

4) Reports:

Comment: The requested citation does not seem to appear at all. It should appear as follows:

First citation: Author, title in italics, report number, date [day, month, year], p./pp./para.

Thereafter: Author, title in italics, p./pp./para.

5) Newspaper article:

Comment: The date is currently not included.

First citation: Author, ‘Title’, date [day, month, year], URL, accessed [day, month, year].

Thereafter: Author, ‘Title’.

6) Case law:

Comments: Case law strangely enough appears in very different formats. It should all follow the example below.

Example:

First citation: Court, Case name in italics, date decided [day, month, year], docket number, reporter, reporter volume, first page, p., pp., para., paras.

Thereafter: Court, Case name in italics, p., pp., para., paras.

7) Dictionary entry:

Comment: the URL should come after the "date accessed' instead of before, with a comma.

8) Blog post:

Comment: (i) the date of the blog post should be included; (ii) the date accessed should be included.

Example:

First citation: First name surname, ‘Title’, Blog title in italics, date [day, month, year], URL, accessed [day, month, year].
  • edited September 10, 2019
    - Locators for subsequent citations now has the label (fixes this for all item types)

1) books: Where do you see in the guidelines that the edition needs to be in the brackets?

3) article-journal: added comma between issue and year
    4) reports get printed out like this:
    John S. Ahlquist and Christian Breunig, ‘Country Clustering in Comparative Political Economy’, MPIfG Discussion Paper, (Cologne: Max-Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, 2009).
    5)newspaper: added issue date

8) blog: Where are you getting this from? I don't see anything about it in the guidelines. I´ve added the accessed date for now for websources (websites and blogs)

https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/b2675afb2db81de963245173e07d6164cc677779/journal-of-international-peacekeeping.csl
  • Thank you very much for the changes you made! Please find some responses below, as well as a repetition of a number of comments that I made above that have not yet been implemented so it seems.

1) books: Where do you see in the guidelines that the edition needs to be in the brackets?

HannaKUL: This is indeed not in the guidelines. The guidelines are extremely limited in information so that is why I made this suggestion myself, based on other styles I use.

Could you please also include the following comments: (i) there should be no comma after the title of the book; (ii) when a book is cited more than once, the citation should include specifically “p, pp., para., paras.” (not just the number).

--

HannaKUL comments: (i) there should be no comma after the title of the book

--

3) article-journal: added comma between issue and year

HannaKUL comments: Thank you.

Could you please also include the following comments: (i) the DOI is now added in the end after a comma, but this should be after a dot; (ii) the DOI is now referred to in small letters but should be in capitals; (iii) if a reference is made to a paragraph, “para.” is abbreviated without a dot, it should be with a dot.

--

4) reports get printed out like this:

John S. Ahlquist and Christian Breunig, ‘Country Clustering in Comparative Political Economy’, MPIfG Discussion Paper, (Cologne: Max-Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, 2009).

HannaKUL comments: (i) Could you please add the report number and the full date (including day and month)?; (ii) if a reference is made to a paragraph, “para.” is abbreviated without a dot, it should be with a dot.

--

5)newspaper: added issue date

HannaKUL: The date of the article itself (so not the date of access) is not included. Could you please add this?

Example:

First citation: Author, ‘Title’, date [day, month, year], URL, accessed [day, month, year].

--

6) Case law:

HannaKUL comment: Case law still appears in very different formats. It should all follow the example below.

Example:

First citation: Court, Case name in italics, date decided [day, month, year], docket number, reporter, reporter volume, first page, p., pp., para., paras.

--

8) blog: Where are you getting this from? I don't see anything about it in the guidelines. I´ve added the accessed date for now for websources (websites and blogs)

HannaKUL: This is indeed not in the guidelines. The guidelines are extremely limited in information so that is why I made this suggestion myself, based on other styles I use.

Furthermore, could you please include the date of the blog post itself as well?

Example:

First citation: First name surname, ‘Title’, Blog title in italics, date [day, month, year], URL, accessed [day, month, year].

--

General comment HannaKUL:

If the same sources is cited in subsequent footnotes, “ibid in italics” should be used instead if the surname and the page number. If the same sources is cited, but with a reference to a different page, it should be cited as “ibid in italics, p., pp., para., paras.”.
  • 1)i) comma after title: not fixed
    ii) label for locators: fixed
    2) chapter: comma after title: same issues as 1)i): not fixed
    3)i) dot before doi: changed
    ii) doi vs DOI: changed (although I had never touched that)
    iii) para: not fixed. not even sure I can
    4)i) report number: added
    ii) full date: added (please test)
    5) It already prints full issued dates for article-newspaper. Make sure you actually have the date in your Zotero entry.
    6) not touched
    8) blog: add issue date: haven´t figured that one out yet...

Latest version:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/ca3557a1adcedd733b929a7a1e20ac55d96d8730/journal-of-international-peacekeeping.csl
  • Thank you very much for the revisions! Please find some responses below:

1)i) comma after title: not fixed

HannaKUL: Can I fix this myself? Otherwise I will have to update this all manually.

ii) label for locators: fixed

HannaKUL: Thank you, this has been changed indeed.

2) chapter: comma after title: same issues as 1)i): not fixed

HannaKUL: see comment above.

3)i) dot before doi: changed
    ii) doi vs DOI: changed (although I had never touched that)

HannaKUL: Thank you, these changes have indeed been made.

iii) para: not fixed. not even sure I can

HannaKUL: Okay, I will change this manually.

4)i) report number: added

HannaKUL: Thank you, this has been changed indeed.

ii) full date: added (please test)

HannaKUL: The “Date” does not seem to be included in the reference.

5) It already prints full issued dates for article-newspaper. Make sure you actually have the date in your Zotero entry.

HannaKUL: I tested this with two different sources and the “date” is never included.

6) not touched

HannaKUL: Is it not possible to update this? Or can I do this myself?

8) blog: add issue date: haven´t figured that one out yet...

HannaKUL: Hopefully you can still find this one. And could you please also put the blog title in italics?

9) General comment HannaKUL:

If the same sources is cited in subsequent footnotes, “ibid in italics” should be used instead if the surname and the page number. If the same sources is cited, but with a reference to a different page, it should be cited as “ibid in italics, p., pp., para., paras.”.

Many thanks once again!

Best regards,
    Hanna
  • Quick Q about paragraphs: Are you sure you're getting "para" without a dot? The style should do "para." and "paras" in line with standard UK convention to not use periods after plural abbreviations ending in s (because paragraphS ends in "s").

For newspapers and reports, could we get sample output? Dates look good for me with the above style.
  • edited October 1, 2019
    Hi,

"Not fixed" just means I haven't fixed it yet. This style is extremely complex.

1i) book: edition moved into brackets

2) not touched
    3iii) not touched

4ii) The date IS included. But in order to get day and month it also has to be available in the Zotero entry. Please check that first.

5) I get this. If not, make a new document and double check the dates are entered correctly in Zotero.
    "Lisa W. Foderaro, ‘Rooftop Greenhouse Will Boost City Farming’, New York Times, 6 April 2012."

6) law stuff: outstanding.

8) blog:
    - put into italics.
    - issued date added

9) subsequent, ibid: changed. please test it out.

Here is another version. I can not work any more on this than I already have. Maybe another volunteer has the time.

https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/8f98310289f36932b72c757b7c6fa95ffa31867a/journal-of-international-peacekeeping.csl
  • @damnation Many thanks for all your work - this is greatly appreciated!!

@adamsmith

- Okay for ‘para.’ and ‘paras’.

- Newspaper articles: I still don't get a date when I generate a footnote for the following source:

What it should be: BBC News, ‘Libya: Nato Defends Operation during Russia Talks’, 4 July 2011, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-14010305, accessed 26 February 2019.

What I get: BBC News, ‘Libya: Nato Defends Operation during Russia Talks’. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-14010305, accessed 26 February 2019.

- Reports: I still don't get a date when I generate a footnote for the following source:

What it should be: United Nations Security Council, ‘Report of the Secretary-General to the Security Council on the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti’, UN Doc. S/2013/493, 7 March 2014.

What I get: United Nations Security Council, ‘Report of the Secretary-General to the Security Council on the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti’, UN Doc. S/2013/493.

I am not sure whether you or someone is willing to finish the citation style? Of so, please find below a number of general and specific comments. I reiterated the outstanding remarks and examples so there is no need to go back to all previous comments. Many thanks in advance!!!

General comment:

- If the same source is cited in a number of footnotes, a shorten citation should be used. This was properly implemented in earlier versions, but now the entire source is cited again. The “ibid” for subsequent footnotes is now properly implemented.

Specific comments:

1) Book

Comments: (i) there should be no comma after the title of the book; (ii) when a book is cited more than once, a short citation should be used.

Example:

First citation: Marc Weller, Alexia Solomou, and Jake William Rylatt (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of the Use of Force in International Law (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015, 1st edn.), p. 376. [The title of the book is in italics]

Thereafter: Weller, Solomou, and William Rylatt (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of the Use of Force in International Law, p. 376. [The title of the book is in italics]

Comment: (i) there should be no comma after the title of the book; (ii) when a chapter is cited more than once, a short citation should be used.

Example:

First citation: Haidi Willmot and Ralph Mamiya, ‘Mandated to Protect: Security Council Practice on the Protection of Civilians’ in Marc Weller, Alexia Solomou, and Jake William Rylatt (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of the Use of Force in International Law (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015, 1st edn.), p. 376. [The title of the book is in italics]

Thereafter: Willmot and Mamiya, ‘Mandated to Protect: Security Council Practice on the Protection of Civilians’, p. 376.

3) Journal article:

Comment: (i) when an article is cited more than once, a short citation should be used.

Example:

First citation: John L. Campbell and Ove K. Pedersen, ‘The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success’, Comparative Political Studies, vol. 40, no. 3, 2007, pp. 307-332. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0010414006286542.

4) Reports:

Comments: The full date (with day, month, and year) is not included –upon request of damnation, I tested this a number of times (see above); (ii) when a report is cited more than once, a short citation should be used.

Example:

First citation: Author, title in italics, report number, date [day, month, year], p./pp./para./paras

Thereafter: Author, title in italics, p./pp./para./paras

5) Newspaper article:

Comment: (i) The date of the newspaper article is currently not included (not to be mistaken with the date of access) – upon damnation’s request, I tested this a number of times (see above); (ii) when a newspaper article is cited more than once, a short citation should be used; (iii) the URL link should come after a comma and not a dot.

Example:

6) Case law:

Comment: (i) Case law appears in very different formats. It should all follow the example below.

Example:

7) Blog post:

Comment: (i) the title of the blogpost article is now in italics, but it is the blog title that should be in italics; (ii) when a blog post article is cited more than once, a short citation should be used; (iii) the URL link should come after a comma and not a dot.

Example:

Thereafter: First name surname, ‘Title’, p./pp./para./paras.

• Many thanks for uploading this new version to the repository. I really appreciate this. And apologies for the delay in my response (I was on maternity leave from the beginning of October).
  • Hi,

I would like to include the "ibid" option in the "Journal of International Peacekeeping" style. I have tried to do this before to another style but that was a disaster. Is there any chance someone can help me with this?

Many thanks!

Hanna
  • edited October 5, 2022
    The style already has that built in, as you also see from previous comments on here.
  • My sincere apologies. Indeed... I overlooked it.