ScienceDirect translator and article language

This is the case for all ScienceDirect journal articles but here is one example:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0965856417314386

I would love for the Zotero translator to capture the article language. If I use the DOI capture, the language abbreviation is included (but of course, the abstract is omitted). The default ScienceDirect translator captures the abstract but the language abbreviation is not. It is tedious to added the language by hand with each article download.

Is this a reasonably easy problem to solve?
  • I'm afraid not, no. The language isn't available in any of the standard metadata locations, i.e. neither in the bibtex/RIS nor in the page header. It does seem to be somewhere hidden in some JSON, but that seems quite fragile & high-effort to retrieve.

The alternative would, of course, be to grab it from CrossRef, but I'm not loving that as a solution.
  • I feared that might be the situation. Thanks.
  • edited September 3, 2019
    I think we can extract that information from language attribute of the main article part, i.e. attr(doc, 'article[role="main"]', 'lang'). I will prepare a PR for that.
  • This improvement is now live. Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences. Any further problems let us know.