can't start zotero at all

My system info:
Linux version 5.0.0-20-generic (buildd@lgw01-amd64-034) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Ubuntu 8.3.0-6ubuntu1)
Ubuntu 19.04

I installed zotero 3 months ago. Always started zotero from terminal by using the command (from the source folder)
$./zotero
I was using it yesterday with no problem.
Today, I get this error (I include a list of the directory files since I can't submit an error report because I can't open zotero):

$ pwd
/home/notadmin/source/zoterofolder
$ ls
active-update.xml icudt58l.dat libnssdbm3.so platform.ini
application.ini libfreeblpriv3.chk libnssutil3.so plugin-container
chrome libfreeblpriv3.so libplc4.so poppler-data
chrome.manifest liblgpllibs.so libplds4.so set_launcher_icon
components libmozavcodec.so libsmime3.so Throbber-small.gif
defaults libmozavutil.so libsoftokn3.chk updater
dependentlibs.list libmozgtk.so libsoftokn3.so updater.ini
dictionaries libmozsandbox.so libssl3.so updates
extensions libmozsqlite3.so libxul.so updates.xml
fonts libnspr4.so minidump-analyzer zotero
gmp-clearkey libnss3.so omni.ja zotero-bin
gtk2 libnssckbi.so pdfinfo zotero.desktop
icons libnssdbm3.chk pdftotext zotero.jar
$ ./zotero
/home/notadmin/source/zoterofolder/updates/0/updater: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Thank you.
  • edited November 10, 2019
    Can you run locate libgtk-x11 ?
    If that does find the library, see if https://askubuntu.com/a/836144/130560 i.e. installing the 32-bit version of the GTK library works.
  • Just so you know I am a newbie when it comes to linux, but that command didn't bring any response.
    (but if it had , why would I want to run a 32 bit version when I have a 64 bit system ? Also, why did it just stop working today?)
  • Assuming you downloaded the 64-bit version of Zotero, I don't think the linked page would be relevant.

But if your locate cache is up to date, it looks like you're missing the libgtk2.0 package, so you should try reinstalling that with sudo apt install libgtk2.0-0.
  • Not sure why but everything is now working. Thanks for your help @stillman.