Style Request: AIKOL IIUM Thesis Citation Style

Hi there!

I would like to humbly request the experts here to kindly make the AIKOL IIUM Thesis Citation style.

The guidelines can be found here:
https://www.academia.edu/40071521/Reference_Style_Guide_for_Thesis_in_Ahmad_Ibrahim_Kuliyyah_of_Laws_International_Islamic_University_of_Malaysia

In-text citation (footnote system):
John L. Campbell, and Ove K. Pedersen, "The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success", Comparative Political Studies, Vol. 40, No. 3, (2007).

Isabela Mares, "Firms and the Welfare State: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?" in Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage, edited by Peter A. Hall and David Soskice (Oxford University Press, 2001).

Bibliography:
Campbel, J. L., and Pedersen, O.K. (2007). The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success. Comparative Political Studies 40(3), 307–332.

Mares, I. (2001). Firms and the Welfare State: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers? In P.A. Hall and D. Soskice (Eds). Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage. New York: Oxford University Press.

NOTES:
First, the manual I attach combines from different guides (yes, we are supposed to refer to THREE different documents as reference, so I have compiled them in one document). It contains (a) footnote guidelines, (b) short bibliography layout guide, (c) extensive Bibliography guide, and (c) name input guide for specific to Malay, Indonesian, and Arabic Names (which do not usually follow the First Name - Last Name format).

Second, it seems that the footnotes are a modified version of the Chicago Style, and the Bibliography is a modified version of the APA Style. I honestly have no idea why they have to make students refer to three separate documents including a blend of two modified existing templates.

Third, we are hearing students stalled from graduation because the guides are so confusing but the Postgraduate Office seems to be very strict. They usually experience this trouble post-viva. So, I on behalf of present and future postgraduate students of AIKOL IIUM would like to thank you very much for your assistance in helping us graduate with much less trouble.

Best regards,
  • Oh wow, that’s a nightmare. As an approach for the moment, one step you could take would be to write your document with Chicago (full note). Then, when done, save a copy and convert that copy to APA. Then Unlink Citations from both versions and cut and paste the APA bibliography into the Chicago document.

@damnation If you get to this one, APA (no DOI, no issue number) would be a good place to start for the bibliography.
  • @bwiernik its not exactly like Chicago because there are quite a lot of differences. But I was told that they modified it from Chicago. But as a temporary measure while waiting, your idea seems to be great actually.

My mistake was because a professor mentioned "we use Chicago" in my first year and I did not check the manual. I have done my second draft, 455 bibliographic entries and around 750 footnotes, using Chicago. Hoping to submit my thesis in November just waiting for feedback from my supervisor. Then I found out about this. And it turns out that very few of my friends knew about this either (dissemination seems to be a problem too).

I dont understand how much spare time and evil in the heart must someone have to make us do something like this hahahaha
  • By the way @damnation if we were to request the style for a fee, how much will it cost? I would like to see if I could get a budget from the university for it.. Thank you!
  • @fajrimuhammadin how many different item types would the style need to cover. Just doing this for books, book chapters, and journal articles and generic web resources wouldn't actually be so hard, so probably a moderate fee in the US$200 range (that's what I'd charge; I think damnation's rates are similar). If this needs to cover lots of different items types beyond that, the price would go up.
  • @adamsmith oh I thought only @damnation does the things.. Awesome!

According to the manual, there are 10 item types (including books, book chapters, journal articles, and generic web), and the manual is a bit tricky as I explained above.

How much do you think that would cost? I hope there is a 'student rate discount' because I just met the Chairman of the Law Postgraduate Student Society, and he said that it is unlikely that the university will want to pay for something like this. So, it seems that we will do some crowdfunding among our students :(
  • Can you post the full manual somewhere to look? Otherwise we can give you email address to send to. damnation currently does much more styles, both paid and unpaid, so I'd leave this to him if he's interested, but he'll also want to see the manual before committing.
  • @adamsmith

I did put it above in the post, but here it is:

This is the manual:
    https://www.academia.edu/40071521/Reference_Style_Guide_for_Thesis_in_Ahmad_Ibrahim_Kuliyyah_of_Laws_International_Islamic_University_of_Malaysia

the manual I attach combines from different guides (yes, we are supposed to refer to THREE different documents as reference, so I have compiled them in one document).

It contains (a) footnote guidelines, (b) short bibliography layout guide, (c) extensive Bibliography guide, and (c) name input guide for specific to Malay, Indonesian, and Arabic Names (which do not usually follow the First Name - Last Name format).
  • Hi,
    University styles, like the one you are looking for, I tend to make and offer in my online shop.
    So instead of crowdfunding, you could just send people to the shop and people who need it can get the style there.
  • @damnation I will PM you now about this