Can Zotero 2.0 beta be run alongside Zotero 1.0.10?

I have set up Zotero 2.0b5 on a computer where I used to have an installation of Zotero 1.0.10. Syncing of 2.0b5 with the Zotero server has not worked thus far, despite several visits to the forum. I am reluctant to uninstall that version of Zotero as I would hope that the problam I have will soon be solved.
In the meantime though, I would like to continue working with Zotero 1.0.10, so that I can keep my reference library up to date. My original library file was upgraded to wrok with Zotero 2.0, but I do have a backup of the original library files which should work with Zotero 1.0.10. What I would like to know is whether I can have two profiles, one with Zotero 2.0.b5 and one with Zotero 1.0.10, each profile containing the library file in appropriate format, running safely on the one computer?

Al
  • What I would like to know is whether I can have two profiles, one with Zotero 2.0.b5 and one with Zotero 1.0.10, each profile containing the library file in appropriate format, running safely on the one computer?
    Yes, but why? 2.0 should offer the same features as 1.0, so why not run it just because some of the new features not in 1.0 (i.e. syncing) don't work for you?
  • I agree with you on that point. My original reason for experimenting with Zotero 2.0 was that I wanted to be able to give groups of my students access to those subsets of my reference library appropriate to their particular courses of study, without giving them access to the entire library. Are there any other ways in which that can be done in Zotero 2.0b5 if the sync procedure does not work?
    At present I am struggling with syncing as i keep getting an error message "Script stack space quota is exhausted". I have searched on this phrase, and it appears to relate to a problem associated with Firefox 3. It has been commented on in discussion forums relating to a couple of items of software running within Firefox, and no-one seems to have a solution yet, other than rolling Firefox back to v. 2. I do not want to try running Zotero 2.0b5 in Firefox 2 in order to see what happens, as I am worried about completely corrupting my library database, but the sync facility is the major attraction of Zotero 2.0 for me, and I would like to get it working somehow.
  • Which version of firefox are you currently using?
    It might be fixed in the latest 3.5 RC build.

Regards,
    Jon.
  • I am running Firefox 3.0.11. I did try using 3.5 about a week ago, but encountered the same problem. Maybe there has been a build since then, so I will go back and try the procedure again.

Thanks,

Al
  • I have a different need to run both 2.0 and 1.0.10 simultaneously, if it is possible: I need to start developing our support structure for when we transition to 2.0, but still have to support users who have 1.0.
    Does anyone know how I can do this, without having to find an extra machine?
    Thanks.
  • Does anyone know how I can do this, without having to find an extra machine?
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+Profiles