the current style-definition "Psychological Medicine" produces the following:

(Accadia, Acernese, et al. 2012)
(McInnis & Nelson 2011)

but it should be

(Accadia et al. 2012)
(McInnis & Nelson 2011)
where "et al." in italics

for details see: http://assets.cambridge.org/PSM/PSM_ifc.pdf
"In a text citation of a work by more than two authors cite the first author's name followed by et al."

So please replace the following csl-line

<citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="2" et-al-subsequent-min="3" et-al-subsequent-use-first="2" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" collapse="year">

by

<citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" et-al-subsequent-min="3" et-al-subsequent-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" collapse="year">
<et-al font-style="italic" prefix=" "/>

thanks for updating the csl-files

best,
daniel
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Styles should also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+

Thanks for reporting - I fixed some other small issues I saw, but that style isn't super-carefully done overall, so check to make sure everything is cited correctly.
  • edited October 22, 2014
    Hi there,

I am about to submit to Psychological Medicine. They require names to be in bold font and journal titles to be given in full.
    I cannot find one that fits, can you make one?

Besides what I mentioned, they want:
    The Harvard (author-date) system should be used in the text and a complete list of References cited given at the end of the article. In a text citation of a work by more than two authors cite the first author's name followed by et al. (but the names of all of the authors should be given in the References section). Where several references are cited together they should be listed in rising date order.
    (2) The References section should be in alphabetical order.

Thank you very much!
    Marie.
    please email me if you can fix it: marietrauelsen@gmail.com
  • Great!
    Thank you very much.
    Marie.
  • Hi there - When inserting the reference list using Psychological Medicine - a comma appears after the title, but it should be a period.

Example as inserted into my paper:

Albert PR, François BL, & Millar AM (2011). Transcriptional dysregulation of 5-HT1A autoreceptors in mental illness, Molecular Brain 4, 21–34.

Example from Psychological Medicine Instructions for Contributors:

Brown J, Williams E, Wright H (1970). Treatment of heroin addiction. Psychological Medicine 1, 134-136.

Can it be updated?
  • Yes, this looks like an error in the CSL style and we can correct it.
  • you'll do it @zuphilip?
  • Yes, give me a minute...
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting.
  • Great, thanks!
  • Hi everyone,
    When I insert the reference list using Psychological Medicine - an & sign appears when there is more than one author, while there should not be (only comma).

Example from Psychological Medicine Instructions for Contributors:

Brown J, Williams E, Wright H (1970). Treatment of heroin addiction. Psychological Medicine 1, 134-136.

Example in my paper as inserted:

Beck AT, & Rector NA (2003). A cognitive model of hallucinations. Cognitive Therapy and Research 27, 19–52.

Bentall RP, de Sousa P, Varese F, Wickham S, Sitko K, Haarmans M, & Read J (2014). From adversity to psychosis: Pathways and mechanisms from specific adversities to specific symptoms. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 49, 1011–1022.

while it should be:

Beck AT, Rector NA (2003). A cognitive model of hallucinations. Cognitive Therapy and Research 27, 19–52.

Bentall RP, de Sousa P, Varese F, Wickham S, Sitko K, Haarmans M, Read J (2014). From adversity to psychosis: Pathways and mechanisms from specific adversities to specific symptoms. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 49, 1011–1022.

Can this style be further updated?
  • In addition, if it is at all possible, can the chronological order of the reference list be reversed?

In the current style, the order is from old to new like this:

Fowler D, Freeman D, Smith B, Kuipers E, Bebbington P, Bashforth H, Coker S, Hodgekins J, Gracie A, Dunn G, Garety PA (2006). The Brief Core Schema Scales (BCSS): Psychometric properties and associations with paranoia and grandiosity in non-clinical and psychosis samples. Psychological Medicine 36, 749–759.

Fowler D, Hodgekins J, Garety PA, Freeman D, Kuipers E, Dunn G, Smith B, Bebbington P (2012). Negative cognition, depressed mood, and paranoia: A longitudinal pathway analysis using structural equation modeling. Schizophrenia Bulletin 38, 1063–1073.

While it should be the reverse:
    Fowler D, Hodgekins J, Garety PA, Freeman D, Kuipers E, Dunn G, Smith B, Bebbington P (2012). Negative cognition, depressed mood, and paranoia: A longitudinal pathway analysis using structural equation modeling. Schizophrenia Bulletin 38, 1063–1073.

Fowler D, Freeman D, Smith B, Kuipers E, Bebbington P, Bashforth H, Coker S, Hodgekins J, Gracie A, Dunn G, Garety PA (2006). The Brief Core Schema Scales (BCSS): Psychometric properties and associations with paranoia and grandiosity in non-clinical and psychosis samples. Psychological Medicine 36, 749–759.
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Note that I fixed only the first issue; I think you're mistaken about the 2nd one (the sort order):
    1) the guidelines explicitly say and provide an example to sort alphabetically, which includes the 2nd author (i.e. F before H in your example)
    2) In the example I looked at, the sort order was from earliest to latest year, e.g. the Holmes & Pizzagalli reference here: https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/5BD739C6507511C446272E93301076BA/S0033291716002786a.pdf/transdiagnostic_perspective_on_obsessivecompulsive_disorder.pdf

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting
  • Oh right, thank you so much adamsmith!!!!
  • So excited that there is a style for this journal - thanks maintainers!

I think I've found a problem with the book section citation style. The journal's example (from https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychological-medicine/information/instructions-contributors#submission) is:

Brown GW (1974). Meaning, measurement and stress of life events. In Stressful Life Events: Their Nature and Effects (ed. B. S. Dohrenwend and B. P. Dohrenwend), pp. 217-244. John Wiley: New York.

Current Zotero style gives:

Brown GW (1974). Meaning, Measurement and stress of life events. In Stressful Life Events: Their Nature and Effects Eds BS Dohrenwend & BP Dohrenwend, pp217–244. John Wiley: New York.

So:
    -ed. statement should be in parentheses
    -editor initials should have periods
    -should be a period and space between 'pp' and page numbers
    -eds names should be separated by and not &

Forum won't reproduce italics/bold but that all looks fine.

• edited August 11, 2019
    Hi @mrpeverill
    The update has been accepted. You can go ahead and update your Zotero and the new style will update automatically or get it from the repository: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=psychological-medicine
  • Dear moderators,

The Zotero style for Psychological Medicine does not seem to match the author guidelines set forth by the journal itself in a number of ways: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychological-medicine/information/instructions-contributors

An example from the journal's website:
    Light, M. A., & Light, I. H. (2008). The geographic expansion of Mexican immigration in the United States and its implications for local law enforcement. Law Enforcement Executive Forum Journal, 8, 73–82. doi:XXX

An example from the Zotero style:
    Hisakata R, Nishida S, Johnston A (2016). An adaptable metric shapes perceptual space. Current Biology 26, 1911–1915.

Bibliography differences:
    - a period after each initial
    - ampersand before the last author's name (led by a comma in case of more than 2 authors)
    - comma after the journal title
    - doi at the end or, if unavailable: Retrieved from http://xxxx
    - nothing in bold, journal title and volume in italics
    - max 7 author names. See example:

Gilbert, D. G., McClernon, F. J., Rabinovich, N. E., Sugai, C., Plath, L. C., Asgaard, G., ... Botros, N. (2004). Effects of quitting smoking on EEG activation and attention last for more than 31 days and are more severe with stress, dependence, DRD2 A1 allele, and depressive traits. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 6, 249–267. doi:XXX

In-text citation differences:
    - Parenthetical format: a comma precedes the publication year
    - All authors names are mentioned on first appearance in the text up to a maximum of five names. For one work with six or more authors only the first name is mentioned followed by et al., year

Would it be possible to update the zotero style to match the author guidelines?
  • edited January 28, 2020
    Hi,

We go by published papers in .pdf format as that is the "printed" version of a paper.
    The majority of the style is fine, but I saw some issues for the in-text citation formatting:
    - comma between authors and issued-date
    - and as text and not ampersand

Please review based on some papers and then we're happy to get it fixed.

Some openAccess journals here: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychological-medicine/latest-issue?sort=canonical.position:asc&amp;aggs[openAccess][filters]=7275BA1E84CA769210167A6A66523B47&amp;searchWithinIds=E5E5448D70A7A797A9DE1FDC00D092C9&amp;productType=JOURNAL_ARTICLE&amp;template=cambridge-core/journal/article-listings/listings-wrapper&amp;hideArticleJournalMetaData=true&amp;displayNasaAds=false
  • edited January 28, 2020
    Yes, those instructions are definitely not what the journal uses (you can even see the journal's actual style higher up on the page when they cite their statistical guidelines by Altman DG., Gore SM, Gardner, MJ. Pocock SJ.). I submitted a paper there recently, and it was sent back when submitted in APA style rather than the journal's style.

It's possible that they have changed their submission guidelines in the last few months and are intending to change to APA style, but it would be odd for them to switch to APA 6th edition instead of 7th edition. If you like, could you contact the journal to inquire if they are intending to change their journal style?
  • The journal states on their website: "The guidelines set forth in the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.) should be used in the text and a complete list of References cited given at the end of the article."

The Zotero style apa-old-doi-prefix.csl seems to match this perfectly, so I'll go for that instead of the one listed as Psychological Medicine style.

• edited January 29, 2020
    Like I said, I suspect that the website is wrong or outdated. The journal doesn’t use APA style in publication, and I recently had a paper sent back when I submitted it using APA style instead of the Psychological Medicine Style. I suggest you use the Psychological Medicine style.
  • edited January 30, 2020
    I really recommend you, like bwiernik, to use the style I provide here. Journals often do NOT update their guidelines on the websites. That is why we go by published papers. (I have made some 500+ styles, so I have seen many websites...)

I have further worked on the style now and it now matches current papers:
    Update your Zotero or grab the style from the repository.
  • Hi maintainers,

Thanks for all your work on style edits. I'm using the style from Zotero's selection and noticed it does not line up with current guidelines (or current published works).

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychological-medicine/information/author-instructions/preparing-your-materials

Specifically it has over 7 names in the reference list and does not display doi's. In text, it does not list all authors in first citation (up to 6).

Is it possible to have it reviewed?

Thank you!!
  • Yeah, it looks like they now actually have switched over to APA (6th edition???).
    Use this style: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:apa-old-doi-prefix
  • Yeah bizarrely they adopted a version of APA that’s 6 years out of date ?
  • Thank you everyone, saved me a editing nightmare! :)