Backward parentheses in in-text Chicago (author-date) citations, RTL language (Hebrew), Word 2016

Hi everyone,

New to Zotero. Have tried to find a solution to this issue in the forums but without luck. I'm working on a text in Hebrew where most of my bibliography titles are also in Hebrew. When I use the Zotero word plugin to add an in-text author-date citation, the parentheses on both sides are reversed, i.e. " )author, date, page( " instead of " (author, date, page) " .
I've seen this issue come up a few times in the forums, but I haven't encountered any definitive solution so far. Does anyone have an idea? Language in Zotero is set to "heb" for all of these items.
Thanks!
  • Set the language field to "he", rather than "heb". Does that fix the issue?
  • I seem to remember that using the 2-character "he" form instead ofthe 3-character format fixed this. A true expert may reply by stating that I'm wrong. I recommend changing one of your Zotero library records as a test. I'm almost sure that this 2-character format fixed reversed parens for me with a farsi title.
  • Thanks for the replies, I've tried as you both suggest, but unfortunately, that didn't do it.
    In the meanwhile I've noticed that this issue only happens in in-text author-date citations - there is no such problem when opting for a full-note (footnote) citation style in the document preferences.
  • Can you save a Word document with a minimal example to Dropbox or similar and link here?
  • Sure, thanks, here -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k_rkAWrDH1RtiEPyhVwXSewnBmH9CpP6

you'll notice that the problem only happens when adding the citation on Hebrew RTL text, but is fine when added to text in English.
  • Has anyone found a solution to the problem of citations in Hebrew (RTL). The parentheses are opposite , instead of (.....) they are ).....(
  • I don't think there is a solution yet. RTL handling indeed needs some improvements. See also this issue: https://github.com/Juris-M/zotero/issues/59 (this is for Juris-M, which could be interesting for you anyway.) Anyway, I hope I'll be able to look into this soon...

By the way, have you tried LibreOffice? @fbennett has written in the issue above that RTL works much better there.

• I must stick with Office Word so that LibreOffice is unfortunately not an option for me. I honestly hope that you will come up with a solution soon as it is only in the Citation part. The Reference list is perfect, both LTR and RTL.
    I have found a work around that is a bit tedious but helps in the meantime. I include the citation form RTL and get )2004, name, name( . When the document is finally finished, I go back and find all these citations, and manually type in the info in the brackets so that I get the following: )2004, name, name( (2004, name, name). I then mark the original citation and change the font size to 1 and color to white. I am then left with (2004, name, name)