registration for a new account not working: no recaptcha

When a colleague tries to register for a new account, she doesn't see any recaptcha image. I tried in an incognito window, and also cannot register because I can't see any recaptcha image.

is registration broken?
  • No. But if you're in a country that blocks access to Google, that can break it.

I believe we switched to an alternative, non-google.com domain that generally avoided such blocks, but it's possible that somehow became undone. @fcheslack?
  • edited July 31, 2019
    A colleague outside of China was able to register, so it is a firewall problem. It's surprising that my VPN, which allows access to all other blocked sites, doesn't help in this situation.
  • We haven't changed that.
    We're still using recaptcha.net instead of google, which allowed people in China to register when we made the change. Even that version has always loaded some data from other google domains as part of its operation, so it's possible that some changes in the firewall have broken it.

Various parts of recaptcha are also blocked by anti-tracking filters, but while that requires you to actually complete the captcha task, in my case it still goes through fine while blocking the trackers.
  • Same problem here. No recaptcha even though I'm using VPN.